1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

what to do next?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by db1101, Mar 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. db1101

db1101 Thread Starter

Hi, I was just looking for some advice on what to do next.

Currentely, I have an:

Asus M2N4-SLI motherboard
    NVidia GeForce 8600GTS

Now, obviously because it is an SLI, I can put another graphics card in there, I was just wondering if getting a second GTS is worth it.

I have heard a lot about the 8600s lack of performance capability:

"Architecturally, the GeForce 8600 series in particular is hampered by its lack of sheer processing power - it has just 25% of the full G80 core's stream processors - and also by its comparatively narrow 128-bit memory bus. Older video cards in the same price range, such as the GeForce 7900GS and GT, featured a much wider (and hence faster) 256-bit memory bus. Also compared with the high end 8800, the midrange 8600 and 8500 are extremely outperformed." Wikipedia

Is it worth getting a second 8600GTS, or waiting and getting something else? Also, where is a cheap reliable place to buy graphics cards?

2. db1101

db1101 Thread Starter

anybody?

3. Tim_IN

Tim_IN

I'm not sure of exactly what cards to use there, I was given the advice to use the GeForce 8800 as the price was coming down. As far as cheap, and reliable...can they be in the same sentence :p

http://www.NewEgg.com
    http://www.tigerdirect.com .ca if you're in Canada. A lot of people seem to dislike TigerDirect but I've had no problems with them. The parent company is Systemax which bought out CompUSA. Those are the only two (three) places I've had contact with via the internet. Microcenter has done me well in person, but sorta high.

4. Jones

Jones

Agree with Tim.

8800's are without a doubt, the best value in video cards right now.

You can get an 8800 GT for less than $200 right now (after rebates), or you can pick up the slightly less expensive (and slightly less powerful) 8800 GS for about $110 - $140.

A single 8800 will beat two 8600's in SLI. Plus it still leaves the SLI option open to you to add another 8800 a bit down the road. Then you'll really be running a powerful system.

I also agree with Newegg.com (US only) and Tigerdirect websites (US and Canada). Tigerdirect has great prices, and great service every time I've used them.

Also, NCIX.com (US and Canada) has some amazing prices on hardware, and some great deals to save on shipping costs.

5. accat13

accat13

Just be sure you have an adequate power supply for the 8800gt....I'm in the same boat as you are, I'm also looking to upgrade my 7600gt oc...The only problem the prices are dropping but so is the supply..I also hate those rebates

6. Jones

Jones

Rebates are great if you actually take advantage of them. Most people don't. I've gotten probably over $200 in rebates back over the past year. It's a nice little treat 6-8 weeks later to get a cheque in the mail for $30 or $40. That's when it's time to hit the game store, or browse the net for some killer overstock/clearance deals. :D

7. db1101

db1101 Thread Starter

you sure? I would have thought that 2 of them would be just as good if not better.. But your probably right.

Thanks for the advice guys, I was hoping to pay £100 or less if possible.

8. accat13

accat13

Your Right I have 50$ in rebates waiting for me to mail...Guess I should get to it :rolleyes:

9. Jones

Jones

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/698605

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice