1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What to do w/ new Widescreen?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by akira77, Jan 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. akira77

akira77 Thread Starter

I had a crappy monitor for the longest time. It was blurry, small, and deep, so I decided to get a new one. My sister had a flatscreen monitor, which I loved, and a friend of mine had a widescreen monitor, which looked great too. So, with some extra money, I bought a 20.1" Wide and flatscreen Sceptre monitor.

Well, it arrived today, and it's really big, but I'm a bit confused. Everything's wider, yes, but I can't seem to find the right resolution. Websites and wallpapers now seem stretched (in comparison). Text is mildly hard to read (I don't have VGA cables, yet, if that makes a difference). I mean, everything looks fine, it's just...I don't really know what to do with it all.

I feel kinda stupid now after purchasing it, so I'm looking to you guys to help me out with this. What do I need to do to get everything looking like what everyone else is talking about? How do I get the most out of my widescreen monitor? (It's LCD, VGA compatible, flat, 20.1", 5ms refresh rate)

2. nexolus

nexolus

Sometimes that can depend on your graphics card. If your card doesn't support widescreen monitors, then when you go to your video settings it will only display regular modes. Sometimes you can try updating the driver (try softpedia.com) or maybe try new monitor drivers (although that probably won't make a difference since they're plug and play.)

3. replay

replay

4. Compiler

Compiler

What EXACT monitor do you have?
    What COMPUTER do you have (PC model #, CPU - AGP/PCIe - add on video card?) and Windows version.

If you computer doesn't have it yet, purchase a moden graphics card for about $60 if you DON'T play games, make sure it HAS a DVI port on it. Your monitor may have come with a DVI cable.

Anyways, modern video cards with DVI will give you a PERFECT picture that you won't get with VGA. Look at GeForce 5200/5500 6x00 or even a 7100gs with DVI connectors.

But yeah, depending on your windows display driver - your monitor will NOT automaticly tell windows which mode to display your info.

YOu need to right click on your desktop (not on any icons or objects) and select PROPERTIES - window pops open. Go to settings TAB and select the MAX res supported by the LCD. If your monitor supports 1600x1050, you need to be set to that mode.

You stated "I don't have VGA cables, yet" ??? If you use a VGA cable, there would be only one. So are you using a VGA cable (15pin usually blue connector) or DVI (usually white conenctor and cable end)?

For best visual and refresh - DVI is a must, especially on larger monitors (17" and up).

5. akira77

akira77 Thread Starter

Allllright, so, I mixed up the names. I have a VGA cable, (blue). I don't have a DVI cable yet, but I plan to buy some soon. The exact monitor that I have?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824112006

As for my computer, I have a GeForce 6200 TurboCache graphics card, an AMD Athlon 64 Processor, 2.01 GHz and a gig of ram.

6. akira77

akira77 Thread Starter

Oh, and 186 gigs of space on my hard drive, too.

7. replay

replay

from compilers post..........

YOu need to right click on your desktop (not on any icons or objects) and select PROPERTIES - window pops open. Go to settings TAB and select the MAX res supported by the LCD. If your monitor supports 1600x1050, you need to be set to that mode.

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  9. akira77

akira77 Thread Starter

Alright, everything's been settled and looking great. Thanks a lot!

10. Flags

Flags

Great! But what did you do that fixed it?
    Someone else may have the same problem and could use the fix.

11. akira77

akira77 Thread Starter

I just went to the recommended (by these guys) resolution (apparantly, 1600 X 1050) and bought DVI-D cables. As I ordered the cables on line, they've yet to reach me, but I can only assume that they'll solve the rest of my issues.

Again, this really isn't a glitch as much as it is me being a nooblet when it comes to HD monitors. Alone, my monitor's fine, I was just wondering what had to be done to get the most out of it. A quick purchase at newegg and some preferred settings have set me straight so far.

12. Compiler

Compiler

Remember.. 1680x1050 is still different than 1600x1050 - the slider should go ALL the way to the left (but sometimes can go to far).

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/538134

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice