1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What to dO

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mombofan1, Jul 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mombofan1

mombofan1 Thread Starter

I accidently deleted my files off a labtop I got a tashiba that ran xp 1) turn on computer
    2) keeps restarting itself after it gets to microsoft xp

I try'd F2 and F12 I don't have the password because I bought it from a friend who bought it from a friend who had it giv'n to them.... then I try'd safe modes and try'n from the last place that work'd but nothing is working. What should I do?

Thanks for the help,
    Nick

2. Jack Hackett

Jack Hackett

F2 and F12 are used to access the BIOS, removing the BIOS battery for 10 mins or more should reset the BIOS to defaults and remove the password
    alternatively there will be a jumper near the battery to clear/reset the CMOS

3. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

How did you accidentally delete files without being able to log in? I don't get the connection of lost files with an unknown login or BIOS password.

4. Jack Hackett

Jack Hackett

I'm assuming he's goofed his OS up big time and now wants to boot from the XP CD but needs to access the BIOS to change boot order.
    I could be wrong, it could be a ploy to gain access to the system which he is not permitted.

5. mombofan1

mombofan1 Thread Starter

okay.......turn on my computer " we apologize for the incovience, but windows did not start successfully. A recenct hardware or software change might have caused this.
    -If your computer stopped respoinding, restastared unexpectedly, or was automatically shut down to protect your files and folders, choose last known good configurations to revert to the most recent setting that worked.
    -If a previous startup atttempt was interrupted due to a power failure or becauset the power or Reset button was pressed or if you arn't sure what cuased the problem, choose start windows Normally.

Safe mode(multi-disk0disk0ext don't think this important goes on lines after lines then starts back at this original page)

safe mode with networking( same...................)

Safe mode with command prompt(same)

Last known Good Configuration *your most recent settings that worked* (Microsoft xp trys to start then goes back to original screen)

Start windows normaly (trys to start windows but goes back to original screen)

at start screen press F2 for SETUP, press F12 for boot device selection menu

*F2 askes for password (phoenixBIOS setup Utility) "I don't know this password neither does my friend that sold it to me.......

*F12 (boot menu) 1 hard drive 2 cd-rom/dvd drive 3 Removable Devices 4 Network Boot <Enter Setup>

*my grandpa told me to press F8*
    .............................................................................
    Windows advanced options Menu
    Please select an option

Safe mode- restarts does nothing same as previously stated

Safe mode with Networking(please select the operating system to start:
    Microsoft windows Xp Home edition
    Use the up and down arrow keys to move the highlight to your choice press enter to choose *I clicked the only option microsoft windows XP home edition says the same as other did the multidisk ext*

Safe mode with command Prompt *same as safe mode with networking*

Enable Boot logging *same*

Enable VGA Mode *same*

Last known Good configuration (your most recent settings that worked) *same*

Directory Services Restore Mode(windows domain controllers only)*same*

Debugging mode *same*

Disable automatic Restart on sytem failure *goes to blue screen A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is your first time you've seeen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:
    disable or uninstall any anti-virus, disk defragmentation or backup utilities. Check your hard drive configuration, and check for any updated drivers. Run CHDSK/F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.
    Technical information
    ***stop: oxooooo24 (ox001902FE, oxf79B280c,oxf79B2508,oxf73dc1fc)
    *** Ntfs.sys-Adress F73dc1fc base at F73cf000, datestamp 41107eea (I restared it only thing I could do)

F8 agian
    start windows Normally

Reboot *restarts computer*

Return to OS choice Menu* same as earlier same*
    and by the way I did Know the password to open sign on to the computer when it worked last night I was using it for hours last night I even watched a movie on it...... I don't know if I deleted the files I just know I was deleting a lot of things and then I shut it and left it on last night and I woke up this morning and what I said happend

Thanks for all your help guys and gals!~
    Nick

6. mombofan1

mombofan1 Thread Starter

i'm not try'n to be one of those people that just asks for answers on forums If someone knows and would tell me I would like to learn too I know this isn't a classroom or anything but all the help and learning would be greatly apprectiated!

7. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

A BIOS password doesn't set itself without someone doing it intentionally. I find it hard to believe that a BIOS password magically appeared overnight. In any case, the only way to clear it is to remove the CMOS battery from the motherboard for a period of time or set jumpers on the board.

8. mombofan1

mombofan1 Thread Starter

OKay I never needed the BIOS password untill I try'd I deleted the files.......... I bought this computer used and so did the guy I bought it from he just got a computer if you wanna know the history..... okay so let see here I was deleting his pics and all his files and *as i said I am no computer person I WORK ON CARS that's why I'm on this forum cause I'm asking for HELP! so anyways I went to sleep and the computer shut itself off I went to turn it on and it woudln't load it did what I said previously..... I don't know .... If I did I would FIX It....... so ya I knew the password to get LOG on to windows I just don't know the bios if your tell'n me I can't get it and It something the original person had then Im out of luck..... so ya thanks anyways................. e-mail me if you want [email protected]

And I try'd tak'n out the battery it didnt reset it but I only did it for about 1/2 hour..... thanks nick

9. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I just don't understand how you've managed to use this computer for a while and suddenly a BIOS password appeared. Either you're misstating the problem or you're being deliberately deceptive. I'm sure this isn't the first time you've turned off the computer since you've owned it.

Talk to your friends, family, roommates, etc. to find out who set the password. Given that this is your first thread and the problem makes no logical sense to me and given the new rules here about helping with forgotten passwords, I'm going to bow out of this thread.

10. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If this is a BIOS password, you can't remove it by taking out the battery or any other simple measure. As a theft prevention measure, laptop BIOS passwords are deliberately difficult to remote. I suggest the "friend of a friend" be contacted for the password, we can't help you with password removal here. Please see theTSG Rules.

11. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

It's a labtop, what do you expect? :D

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/590795

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice