1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What to load at startup

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by joerep, May 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. joerep

joerep Thread Starter

My CD/RW Drive stopped working and I had it replaced under warranty at Best Buy. When I received my computer back and started it, only the clock and volume icon showed on the tray. I checked msconfig startup tab and found they had unchecked all the items listed there. I know enough to check my anti-virus program, but being new, I'm at a loss as to what else to check. Does anyone know where I can find out which if any of the other items I should check to load at startup?

2. Sponsor

3. rude

rude

Strictly speaking,you don't really have to have anything in startup at all.Personally,I don't find it too difficult to start programs when I need them and shut them down when I'm done with them
    Having too much stuff in startup can slow your system down dramatically.The only things I allow to start on bootup on my machine are my anti virus and firewall.

Also go here:http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm
    and check out the service configurations,there are a lot of services that you can disable to help your system run better and faster

4. joe2cool

joe2cool

5. joerep

joerep Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice. I have enabled my anti-virus and will leave it at that.

6. clarke123

clarke123

I wonder why BestBuy would do that in the first place?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/226429

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice