1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What to look for in Dxdiag files?

Discussion in 'Games' started by kalvin, Jul 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kalvin

kalvin Thread Starter

What to look for in Dxdiag files?

Hi everyone,

I want to get a job as tech support for a game company, but need to learn a lot more about certain aspects of teching.

The question i have is, if someone sends you there dxdiag file if they are having trouble loading a game, what do u look for, and how do you decide what the problem is?

thanks in advance!

2. buddhafabio

buddhafabio

driver conflicts, extra devices

3. WarC

WarC

DxDiag will give you a brief summary of the system....Processor, RAM, etc. It will also give you information on it's version number, and the version number and status of all DirectX files. It will also test the capabilities of your video and sound hardware to see if any conflicts come up, as buddhafabio said.

If someone is having trouble loading a game, the first thing you'll want to do is make them update their video and sound drivers....As well as latest patches for the game. If that doesn't work, You'll want to get all the system info off of the DxDiag file to see if the system can actually handle the game. You could also use the DxDiag program itself to test DirectX and set Direct3D and DirectSound acceleration levels.

Sometimes...Well, most of the time, it will be hard to nail down one solution for a problem with a game. Most of the time you will not be able to look at at a DxDiag file and say "Ah, there is the problem" and fix it right away. Think of it more in terms of the computer's stat sheet, which will only aid in your "checklist" of fixes and solutions towards solving the problem.

4. dhr

dhr

Since dxdiag is an api and D3D games have to go through DirectX, it is important that DirectX sees basic hardware and configs, the DDraw Direct 3D test are useless, drawing a spinning cube is much different from rendering game graphics, never pay attention to the video and audio tests, and never pay attention for WHQL certifications, useless, means absolutely nothing when playing games, the dxdiag has "basic" info, it shows OS, CPU and it's speed, RAM, DirectX version, video card and its driver version,
    sound card and its driver version, HID inputs(controllers) and its configs, network(multiplayer) tests, etc.
    It will also unintentionally ghosts through dxdiag.txt only
    I say unintentionally, because sometimes the top tabs will show "Display 1" and "Display 2", if you are running one video card or non-3dFX cards, there should only be one display tab, if you see a second one check for ghosts: meaning software(driver conflicts),

the basic troubleshooting steps should start with ending background programs and lowering sound acceleration(even if the issue doesn't seem to relate to sound) and it can be done simply through dxdiag.

In my previous experiences with varioius game tech support, always troubleshoot software first before "attacking" the hardware,

There are a lot of game-specific issues that various game companies know but not necessarily publicize them.

Updating drivers is also a given but I find that is not as crucial as software and device conflicts, ever play an older game, the game crashes, pull out all USB devices and lo and behold game works fine. That was an example.

5. kalvin

kalvin Thread Starter

i appreciate your replies, very helpful!

take care

kalvin

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/149846

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice