1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What to look for when upgrading processor?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by RAIDSpay, Jul 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RAIDSpay

RAIDSpay Thread Starter

I have an HP pavilion 6830. And on the HP website when I checked out the stats for my PC's processor, it told me that it was an Intel Celeron processor 700 MHZ, it has socket 370and that the front side bus is 66 Mhz and that it is upgradable to 800Mhz. Like, am I suppose to look for a ram that has the same number socket and front side bus # or can I get any Intel Celeron processor as long as it's 800 MHZ? I'm real confused here as to what to look for when purchasing a new processor. In addition, is it possible that you can use a processor from a labtop on a desktop PC if you wanted to?

2. gamerbyron

gamerbyron

Its not possible to put the laptop cpu on the desktop pc. Are you about to upgrade to the new processor?

3. RAIDSpay

RAIDSpay Thread Starter

Yes, I am. I'm on a processor search as we speak, but I'm not too sure what to look for and if I have to look for certain stats or details when upgrading a processor besides the number of megahertz.

4. dez_666

dez_666

when buying a processor, and just a processor, you need to find out if your mobo can handle it. on the site of your pc's manufacturer find out what your mobo is, socket, etc, and they might list upgrade options. things to look for in a processor: Processor Multiplier (higher is better), FSB speed (higher is better, intel is about to come out with a 1333MHZ fsb processor :D ) and if you can find it out, Instructions Per Cycle. i'll tell you why these are important..

Multiplier - This gives you the speed that your processor can actually run at. this typically goes like this:

Your FSB is 133mhz (kinda low..) and your mulitplier is 10. 10x133mhz = 1.33ghz processor speed. however, this only increases PROCESSOR SPEED! your system will still only access RAM at 133mhz.

FSB speed - how fast your system can access RAM. faster = better. sometimes you have to sacrifice multiplier for FSB though. FSB is typically better than multiplier however, because accessing ram is quite important in pc's...

Instructions per cycle - how many instructions your processor executes per 'hz'. So lets say you have two processors, both at 2GHZ. One goes at 3 instructions per cycle (IPC), another goes at 2. So while one is doing 2ghz=2,000,000hz * 3 IPC = 6,000,000 Instructions per second, the other is doing 2,000,000hz* 2IPC = 4,000,000 IPS.

IPC might be hard to find thought. :D

5. RAIDSpay

RAIDSpay Thread Starter

Okay. You're going too fast here. Remember, I'm a computer illiterate.;) What in the world is a mobo? As for FSB, I'm assuming it's the front side bus. My current Intel Celeron processor is running 700mhz and the socket number is 370. If I'm assuming that the FSB, your talking about is the front side bus #, it is 66mhz. Now tell me how good are my stats? Tell me how good it'll be for me if I upgrade to 800 mhz, with the same socket number, which is 370 with a 100 FSB. And as for IPC, I don't understand a thing about that.

And also in what you wrote, you said Intel is about to come out with a 1333 MHZ fsb processor. Well my pc is ugradable to only 800 MHZ according to my manufacturer(well that is what is written on the site). But do you think I could disregard my manufacturer and upgrade to any amount of processor that I please to.

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

"mobo" means "motherboard". You can only upgrade to processors that are compatible with your motherboard. It is not compatible with new processors with a 1333 MHz. You can't upgrade to any processor you want. An increase from a 700 MHz processor an 800 MHz process is not worth the time or money. Replacing a processor can be tricky and if not done properly can result in a damaged system.

7. brite750

brite750

yeah there is no noticable difference between 700 and 800 use pc as is and save for a pc that isnt in the stone age around $300 to $400

8. dez_666

dez_666

sorry for that post ._. what is your PC/motherboard model by the way? if its old enough, its not worth upgrading because of the fact that older motherboards cant handle many new processors, so it would be better to just build a system like i do with new parts, or buy a new proprietary PC..

going from 700mhz/66 FSB to 800mhz/100fsb isnt worth the money :[ you could probably get a PC thats twice as good for around 400-800$. maybe an HP, i just browsed their site real fast and they have some decent pc's for 300-400$ even.

9. RAIDSpay

RAIDSpay Thread Starter

The thing is that I've seen some processors that I could get for like 6-20 bucks on the net. So I figured that it wouldn't be any harm or even a waste in just giving my pc a little boost with people practically giving away processors. You see the thing is that I want my pc as upgraded as possible and that's all. Even if it's a slight improvement. An improvement is an improvement to me. And I've read stats for vista. And if I ever decide to upgrade to vista, it wouldn't be a problem because with Vista, you need at least 800 mhz to run it.

Btw, I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for. But one time when I opened up my motherboard, I took this information down. It had Mot. No:115661 Cognac 20000731.

10. brite750

brite750

OMG let us know how Vista goes on that think, you realize that there are min gfx requirements as well? I mean what is the gfx in that thing, 800mhz aint gonna help

11. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

There's no way I'd run Vista on the minimum requirements. It's incredibly demanding when it comes to processor speed, memory, and graphics. You'd be very disappointed with the performance.

I understanding wanting to squeeze out as much as possible with a computer, and if you can get a processor for $6, that's not bad financially. However, there is still a risk when replacing a processor. You need to attach the heatsink properly and install it without damaging anything else. Since you rate your experience as "Computer Illiterate", I feel it's not worth the risk for what would be an almost unnoticeable performance increase.

12. brite750

brite750

if you have your heart set on this its going to require some research on the HP you have, do you have the MB make and model?

13. brite750

brite750

14. brite750

brite750

unfortunately HP web site is crap for older products, I can not find out the model of your MB I can NOT find a manual so knowing for sure what you could upgrade to is not happening, I'm thinking if it were possible to run a PIII cpu then you might be talking a little bit of a bump from 66 to 100mhz fsb especially if it supports a 1000mhz or better cpu speed. but w/o the manual who knows, not me.
    BTW youre still never going to run vista not in any real sense, it may open but thats it.

15. dez_666

dez_666

i would recommend just getting a new PC man. it sounds like its time. :D
    youll be going at lightning speeds if you upgrade to a modern pc. we're talkin going from an Abacus to a TI calculator. :D :D :D

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/590750

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice