Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

What to replace in my pc

847 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Triple6 
#1 ·
About 3 nights ago I was at my PC and my wife came to say goodnight and dropped a glass of water on it, soaking everything. I manually turned it off right away, dismantled it and left it beside a radiator for about 30 hours (far enough away that it wouldn't burn anything). It looked dry all over so I reassembled it, put in a different psu just to be safe and turned it on, something immediately smoked for a split second and I turned it back off. I didn't get time to see what it was. I've tried restarting again and it runs with no post.
No beeps but fans running and lights are all on as normal. I tried replacing the battery and looked for any signs of anything that has burned or blown.
Still no beeps, even with just cpu. All power cables are where they are meant to be.
I am quite a noob but am about 90% sure it is the motherboard and have ordered a replacement to test. Is there anything simple I am missing or is it more likely to be the cpu or gpu?

Also, the PC now starts and restarts twice before running constantly with no post, not sure why or if this is helpful or not. Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated. I want to spend as little as possible on replacing stuff as it is only a month old and my warranty won't cover a clumsy wife

See less See more
#2 ·
It could be absolutely anything, if there was water on the GPU, RAM, or even the hard drive that could have been the device or devices that went up in smoke or shorted out. The CPU is the least likely problem, a motherboard or power supply would also have to be damaged to take out the CPU. But if the motherboard failed badly enough it could have taken out other components like the CPU or even a drive. Does your computer have a speaker connected to beep? You can hope that it was just the motherboard and that the new one fixes it, if there was smoke at least one device has failed badly. If you could tell where the smoke came from that would help, have you tried smelling the components, usually burnt electronics has a pretty noticeable smell.

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply! Everything got it's fair share of the water, the cpu was pretty protected though and looked dry. I have a speaker connected but can't hear any beeps at all which is why I thought the motherboard was the problem. I think the smoke came from right below the cpu but I only managed to see it as it was fading.
I'm not sure if it's worth mentioning that everything was running fine for the 10 seconds between the spillage and me shutting everything off.
Do you think something was starting to corrode and the burning was just the electricity hitting it when I turned it on?
I'm stuck here as most of my old parts are AMD and this is Intel so swapping parts around has been a challenge

#4 ·
No, water doesn't corrode things in a day. Water is however conductive and probably shorted out something if there was some left between some pins on a chip.

The only non-interchangeable parts between AMD and Intel are the CPU and motherboard, everything else is the same. However be aware that a damaged component could damage good parts in some extreme cases.

#6 ·
I have, there's nothing crazy obvious unfortunately. I've just managed to get the boot menu on an old motherboard using psu and gpu so I guess the damage is limited to the motherboard, cpu and ram now? Am I right in saying at if the ram was at fault I would hear the beeps? I think the only thing to do now is wait for the new mb so I can rule that out.
When it smoked it immediately turned off and it had a really horrible smell, kind of like burning metal. It seemed to attempt to start everything up again but without the burning and it hasn't happened again. the thing that confuses me is the 2 random restarts and then the 3rd time everything just runs without doing anything until I shut it down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.