1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What to replace?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by manamissam, Aug 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. manamissam

manamissam Thread Starter

Lately, I have been getting computer crashes where my monitor loses a signal from the computer, the gpu fan goes to 100%, and my computer becomes unresponsive (shutdown keyboard command doesn't work). This happens more and more often, to the point where it crashes before the computer can even post. However, when I open up the computer and jiggle around the connections, sometimes pulling out cords and re-plugging them in, this seems to completely fix the problem, until a couple days pass and the process repeats. I am certain I have a loose connection somewhere, but I'm not sure where. Should I replace the power supply or the motherboard? Or could something else be causing the issue? Thank you for any help!

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I would start with swapping in a known good pw supply. While the case is open, get a bright light and give the mb a VERY close inspection. Look for any capacitors that look like the pics below.

Attached Files:

3. bonds2034

bonds2034

go with trial and error, dont go buying expensive parts if it could possibly not be the problem, what it seems to me is that your having cable problems, first i would clean all the dust out and look at the connector ends, look over the cables and see if you have and cuts. if it comes down to it pull your motherboard out and hook it up while it lays on a piece of cardboard and see how it runs, your could just have a case grounding problem that is about 85 % of faluries not related to viruses or worms

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1066475

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice