1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

what to update next

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cstrike1217, Sep 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cstrike1217

cstrike1217 Thread Starter

my stats are
    dell 4300
    1.5 ghz intel p4
    384 mb pc133
    40gb hd
    3.5floppy
    logitech cd-rw
    audigy 2
    radeon 9600
    250 watt ps
    2.1 logitech speakers

2. raybro

raybro

I recommend a second HDD and Norton Ghost to create backup images to place there. (y) :cool:

3. cstrike1217

cstrike1217 Thread Starter

but i need to solve a overheating problem with my radeon because it constantly freezes with heat and the system beeps and restarts

4. raybro

raybro

Is this thread a continuation of another thread. I didn't get anything about overheating in the first post in this thread. I'm kinda lost here. :confused: Just what is your question?

5. rockinmale

rockinmale

My first best guess is that your power supply is working overtime trying to keep up the all your hardware.

A 250W power supply seems inadequate for your system with all the upgrades you installed. Chances are the PSU is being overworked and overheating. If the psu is overheating it cannot remove the heat from the case. So that would generally make everything inside the tower to run more hotter than it should. Plus if you continue to run it like this it will prematurely fail within time.

Considering that its a dell system. Im not too up on their power supplies. I dont know if you can swap this power supply with an aftermarket one without problems.

Hopefully someone here will have the knowledge on dell PSU's and push you in the right direction.

Also if there are any places that case fans can be installed. I would recommend putting them in.

6. slawless

slawless

the last thread lead to my recommendation. better case cooling. Its not an exciting topic, but is is not expensive and a definite must for a purchased computer. My Gateway (2ghz P4, Nvidia ti 4600) relied on on a CPU fan/heatsink and the fan in the power supply. I put in a 120mm case fan and a small fan to cool the intel850 chip.

If you think of how the air flows through a case. if you have only the PSU fan, the air comes in the back of the case, passes near the CPU and back out the PSU. the rest of the case has no air circulation. A good case fan will draw air in from the front, across your hard disk, give a little more circulation to your video card, draw air over you chipset and your CPU, then out the back. A much better situation.

When you by a fan be sure to look at the noise rating, some of the 120mm fans had 45dB, thats loud! I put in a Papst fan, they tend to be quiet, mine is 27db.

Good luck

Steve L

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/166229

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice