1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What to upgrade on PC?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mcseguy9, Jan 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mcseguy9

mcseguy9 Thread Starter

So I am getting ready to replace a PC with a better setup and I'm thinking about ways to use this old PC as a server. It has an AMD AthlonXP 1.7 GHz processor in it, a 1 GB stick of RAM, and the mobo is an ASUS A7V8X-X. I was thinking of turning it into a file and print server by adding some storage to it. It natively supports EIDE hard drives. Is it worth it to add hardware to it that will allow it to utilize SATA drives, even if only SATA 1.5? It appears the cost of the drives (from 250 GB up to 400 or 500 GB) aren't that different if you go between EIDE and SATA. What do you think? Part of me wants to go with the newer technology, but I don't know if that's just the geek side of me coming out. Let me know what you think.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Since that board doesn't have SATA you'd need to purchase a SATA controller card, and thats quite an expense considering SATA 1.5Gb/s aren't that much faster then PATA drives(or not at all faster). SATA 3Gb/s drives would be quicker since they support Native Command Qeueing which might help performance. So really a PATA drive might be the wisest choice.

I don't anything else would need to be upgraded if you intend to use it as a file server.

3. mcseguy9

mcseguy9 Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. I think I'm going to go with SATA after all simply because it is going to be such a large hard drive (minimum 400 GB) that I can see possibly using it in another system a couple of years down the road.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/538226

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice