Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

What to use a switch, hub or additional router?

2K views 11 replies 2 participants last post by  Rockn 
#1 ·
Hello all,

Here is what we are trying to do. We currently have a network set up at our company with a Comcast gateway and a router attached to that gateway serving as an access point. Everything works fine but we are looking to expand our back office and add more hardwired terminals in the room. We currently only have 1 ethernet port in the back room and it feeds our server which is attached directly to the Comcast Gateway via a static IP. What we need to do is figure out a way to split the internet connection coming out of that single ethernet port and feed it to multiple computers in the room without affecting the server. Can this be done and if so which piece of hardware would be the best option to go with?

Thanks.

#3 ·
Forgive me if I am slightly confused :) I'm very much a novice. So you're saying run the ethernet cable to an open port on the switch and then any new cables to the "patch panel" , what is that exactly? Would you be able to dumb it down for me a bit haha!

#5 ·
Yes, it will just be 2 computers and a printer back there we are looking to add. So to go through it again, just take the ethernet cord, plug it from the port to an open port on the switch and plus the other devices straight to the switch as well and we should be good to go.

Edit:

I will be using the Netgear gs605 5 port switch if that is of any help.

#6 ·
That should take care of it. Do you think 5 ports will be enough? To share internet you will need to plug an ethernet port from the Comcast gateway into the switch as well plus your other computers. Might as well get an 8 port or larger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.