1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What type of cable do I need?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by WrightyTHFC, Apr 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. WrightyTHFC

WrightyTHFC Thread Starter

Hi,

Apologies if this is posted in the incorrect section & if it's a 'noob' question.

Basically I moved house and lost the power adapter for my external hard drive. I've looked in to buying a replacement but I have no idea what it's called to actually search for one, does anybody know?

I've attached a photo, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

G.

Attached Files:

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    If you can provide the brand name, model number, etc. of that external hard drive, someone here may be able to help you.

-----------------------------------------------------------

3. jamesx121

jamesx121

how old is the external harddrive ?????
    what make & model ??????

basically U will need to go to the website for the manufacture of your external hardrive
    & see if there is a downloadable manual in their support section for your device.
    hopefully in the last few pages of the manual it will have a parts section.
    there U can find out what replacement power cord you need to plug in
    your external harddrive.
    if U can't find a manual ---look under contacts for your manufacture (on their web page)--
    send them a e-mail saying U need a new a/c power cord-----maybe they will
    respond within a few days----
    al last resort google your external hard drive model number & will find listings
    on google for a universal a/c power cord for your device
    the universal replacement will probably work but be of lower quality & might break sooner
    than one bought from your manufacture

4. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    In case you actually mean the top connector, rather than the round 12VDC connector, the top can be attached to a computer using a printer cable. (USB B type on one end and USB A on the other end).

5. jamesx121

jamesx121

he mentions power adapter---so I think he is talking about the DC plug to plug into the wall

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Depending on the enclosure it may be quicker and easier to just remove the drive from the enclosure and put it into a new enclosure which will come with a new power adapter.

Or try a local small computer or electronics store and they may have a suitable power adapter. Many drives will list the voltages, amps, and polarity somewhere on the enclosure and that can be used to get a replacement power adapter.

7. trogdo

trogdo

This looks an old drive, so old it turned the photo sepia, so I would stick a 12v pin positive 2A power supply in it.

Seriously though, the power supply requirements ought to be printed on the drive itself.

8. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    I have an old external Western Digital hard drive with the same 2 connectors. Unfortunately, the power requirements are only printed on the power adapter not on the drive itself. If you lose the brick, you are out of luck knowing the specs.

What is the brand and model of drive, perhaps the power requirements are online.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1146154

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice