What "type" of file are the images stored on your memory card?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

principessa

hi :) you wonderful people have already helped me find a card reader that is compatible with my "patriot" brand memory card, and now that it's here i'm attempting to use file recovery software called "smart recovery" and it's asking me what "type" of file to search for on the memory card. there are SO many choices and i don't know a lot about this. the default file type it wants to search for is jpeg, there is also bmp, avi, tiff, and a lot of brand names listed. my camera is konica minolta - i see minolta. anyone have any idea what i should choose? and, if i start will the wrong one, will it further ruin my chances of recovering any data? thanks to anyone willing to help!

I have a SanDisk to take pics off with the memory card and it saves them as jpg

I've been trying to get pictures off a mini photo CD (for someone else) and looking for programs that might do this. I'll loolk up "Smart Recovery" you say you're using.

I tried several of them last night and one said to check the kind of file to associate with it, and I checked them all. Is there an option for this?

That would cover just about everything.

If not, maybe someone else knows, but every digital camera I've had (Kodak and Epson) has been jpg.

Does it say anything like "img" file? Others might be audio or vidio ones.

~ Carrie

From a quick search, it appears that konica minolta uses either .jpeg or .raw for their storage. It should however not require a smart recovery to get your photo's off the card reader. When you plug in the card to the reader, it should create a new drive in windows explorer that you can explore.

RT

principessa said:
~...i'm attempting to use file recovery software called "smart recovery" and it's asking me what "type" of file to search for on the memory card. ...~ anyone have any idea what i should choose? and, if i start will the wrong one, will it further ruin my chances of recovering any data? thanks to anyone willing to help!
I would say no, you shouldn't cause any harm by searching for whatever file format you choose. The software will find files of those types or it won't. If it finds what you are looking for then it will probably ask if you want to recover them, which would be another step involving your input. And you could say yes, or no, and go back and search for other file types if you wish.
But jpg or jpeg is going to be the most common.

Not having seen your other thread, are you having trouble getting images from the card? Is that why you're using Smart Recovery?
What tsunam posted should work.

Chances are extremely high the images were saved as JPG. The only other two choices available in Konica Minolta cameras are TIFF (or TIF) and RAW.

TSG doesn’t charge by the word. If you had included the model of your camera everyone wouldn’t be guessing. Konica Minolta makes everything from entry level point and shoot cameras to DSLRs.

principessa

(uh, SLIPE, i didn't THINK i left out any information, i didn't THINK the particular model number would make a difference as to the file type pictures would be stored as... perhaps you could go easy on me...)

(moving on...)

hey, peeps! :) my card reader finally arrived and when i ran the recovery program (because my mother had erased all her pictures off the card), i selected JPG first and... it recovered 70 pictures!!! i'm not sure if that's all there was, but... wow anyway! :) (y) (y) (y)
...a big, grateful thank you to all of you who help on this board - you really help a lot of people, you've helped ME many many (many many many...) times! :)

until next time *grin* (and there WILL be a next time lol)
princi

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts