1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What type of ram?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by courtlandhui, Dec 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. courtlandhui

courtlandhui Thread Starter

What type of ram do V2000 presario laptops take?
    (such as the amount of pins, max speed, and if it is DDR/2)
    :confused: :confused: :confused:

2. GripS

GripS

doing a quick search shows the v2000 comes in many flavors. which processor is it using? AMD or Intel?

Scratch that. Looks like you got either a AMD turion or a Sempron. Either one will use DDR PC3200(possibly pc2700 as well).

You can determine this yourself by downloading CPU-Z. A very small download that you don't have to install that will tell you exactly what type of processor and ram is currently being used.

3. courtlandhui

good idea! thanks. i guess i'll stick w/ 2700 b/c it's fast but cheap also! my laptop shares ram, so the video card just 'jacks' the regular ram. i guess i have to buy more. what speed do you suggest i should get for playing games such as bf2/cod2?

4. GripS

GripS

If your gonna run PC2700 then get the maximum amount of ram the laptop supports. Newer games are using more then 1gb of memory these days so 1.5 or 2gb would be idea.

I would contact compaq regarding upgrading to PC3200. The memory controller on the CPU's should indeed handle it but this also can depend on the motherboard being used in the laptop. Checking for ram compatibilty with the manufacturer is always a good idea.

5. courtlandhui

nah, i guess it probaby won't support, but it doesn't matter. but it's really odd... ddr2 is significantly cheaper then a 2700 ddr.
    that's nuts. and a waste of money... but since there's ebay, i guess that could be a cheap solution. Also... compaq makes people's lives miserable! there are 2 slots for ram, but they filled it up w/ 2x256, so it is REALLLY annoying... i guess i'm gonna have to waste one stick. I hope that 1.256gb of ram is enough to play games. Also, by sharing the ram, such as 128mb of ram to the video card make games like bf2 run faster?! i can't wait untill i don't lag on big maps!

6. GripS

GripS

With your current video the game will always run at low settings. However going from 512mb to 1.25gb of memory will significantly reduce lag.

7. SacsTC

SacsTC

8. courtlandhui

thanks. that's what i need :-D, i guess it's gonna seriosuly reduce lag. in this case i guess i can set the settings to medium...

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/429296

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice