1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved What type of silver tape is used in laptop between touch-pad and keyboard (see photo)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by silber, May 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. silber

silber Thread Starter

What is the silver tape shown on the photo (no 1) between the touch-pad and keyboard bracket and what is it there for?

I was removing the touch-pad and now the adhesive underneath some parts of the silver (aluminium?) tape is not holding anymore. I was wondering what is the tape there for and if I should put a new tape?
    I searched the net for the answer but could not find out if it's a normal, aluminium tape that I can get from a DIY shop or something else.

Also, out of my curiosity, there is a different silver tape next to the HDMI socket (no 2 on the photo). Does anyone know what type of tape is that?

Asus TP550LA palmrest_annotted.jpg

Last edited: May 5, 2019
  2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hi silber, and welcome to TSG.

Tape #1 is most likely a special aluminum tape with an electrically conductive adhesive. It most likely is being used in the laptop to improve the electrical interference shielding inside the laptop. The conductive adhesive allows the tape to electrically connect two pieces of metal. Not using it may increase the amount of electrical noise emitted by your laptop and interfere with nearby electronics or it could even interfere with the internal operation of portions of the laptop, such as causing the touchpad to report false touches. You typical hardware store or home improvement center may carry aluminum tape for HVAC applications to seal ductwork and such. It would not work for you because the adhesive is usually not electrically conductive on such tape. Here is a link to one type of tape that should work for you and sold by Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/2-6-1120-Alu...inum+tape&qid=1557080759&s=industrial&sr=1-13

Tape #2 looks to probably be a mesh conductive tape made from either aluminum wire or tin plated copper wire and also having a conductive adhesive. Finding a source for that may require going to an electronics distributor such as Digi-Key or Mouser Electronics if you are in the USA.

3. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    If you tell us the make and full model of the laptop we might be able to find out more.

4. silber

silber Thread Starter

Thank you, cwwozniak!
    This is a great explanation.

5. silber

silber Thread Starter

Thank you for your reply.
    It is TP550L.

6. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Didn't find anything online about the tape but I think you'll be ok if you can reuse the original tapes.

7. silber

silber Thread Starter

Thank you for checking :)

8. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    You're most welcome. (y)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1226700

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice