What Version and Where!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Rutter

OK right you guys, its been a while but im back with another problem!

Ok here goes, I have managed to get hold of another machine just for the sole purpose of using linux on, because I have been told its a fantstic OS, so I would like to try it.

I was hoping you clever guys would be able me make a decision on what version of linux I would want to use and tell me where I could get it from.

Hope you guys can help cause u have been great in the past!

Rutter :cool:

hey,
whats the systems specs so we can no what kind ok distro it would be best for.
i currently am running mandrake linux wich is probobly the easiest distro for begginers
if u would like to leave windows on a system u can if its fat.

You'll find many distributions available for free download and burning on CD at www.linuxiso.org. Mandrake, SuSe and RedHat are quite popular, and feature more user-friendly installation procedures. It almost doesn't matter where you start (there's plenty to learn, no matter which distribution you choose!), but an easier installation can make getting started a lot less frustrating.

Hope this helps.

Red Hat and Mandrake can be download as iso images-SuSE only offers a Live-Eval iso and an ftp download:no isos:( SuSE is a great distro though.
lynch

Rutter

oh sorry bout that u guys thanx for all your help, been away from my comp for a few days so haven't been able to check up.

I am getting a spare machine, to run linux on, nothin fancy maybe

P I, 2 GB hard drive, 64 MB Sd Ram, cd, floppy the usual after that really

its not a hot sys but I just wanna try it out cause im startin to have enough with windows!

Thanx again for your help!

Rutter:cool:

Well having enough of windows is what happened to me,um i dont think that is reallly enough memory and stuff to run linux, lets see what lynch has to say.

I'd have to agree with trevor1,ram will be a bottleneck.You can try it running a lightweight window manager like blackbox,fluxbox or fvwm2.KDE would run but it'd be kinda slow.Linux with just the command line interface(CLI) would work fine if you wanted to try it that way.
lynch

Ya, blackbox and fluxbox are really resource freindly. gnome migh work but slow...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online