1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What Version and Where!

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by Rutter, Feb 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rutter

Rutter Thread Starter

OK right you guys, its been a while but im back with another problem!

Ok here goes, I have managed to get hold of another machine just for the sole purpose of using linux on, because I have been told its a fantstic OS, so I would like to try it.

I was hoping you clever guys would be able me make a decision on what version of linux I would want to use and tell me where I could get it from.

Hope you guys can help cause u have been great in the past!

Rutter :cool:

2. trevor1

trevor1

hey,
    whats the systems specs so we can no what kind ok distro it would be best for.
    i currently am running mandrake linux wich is probobly the easiest distro for begginers
    if u would like to leave windows on a system u can if its fat.

3. trevor1

trevor1

hello

4. codejockey

codejockey

You'll find many distributions available for free download and burning on CD at www.linuxiso.org. Mandrake, SuSe and RedHat are quite popular, and feature more user-friendly installation procedures. It almost doesn't matter where you start (there's plenty to learn, no matter which distribution you choose!), but an easier installation can make getting started a lot less frustrating.

Hope this helps.

5. lynch

lynch

Red Hat and Mandrake can be download as iso images-SuSE only offers a Live-Eval iso and an ftp download:no isos:( SuSE is a great distro though.
    lynch

6. trevor1

trevor1

wonder what happened to this guy?

7. Rutter

Rutter Thread Starter

oh sorry bout that u guys thanx for all your help, been away from my comp for a few days so haven't been able to check up.

I am getting a spare machine, to run linux on, nothin fancy maybe

P I, 2 GB hard drive, 64 MB Sd Ram, cd, floppy the usual after that really

its not a hot sys but I just wanna try it out cause im startin to have enough with windows!

Thanx again for your help!

Rutter:cool:

8. trevor1

trevor1

Well having enough of windows is what happened to me,um i dont think that is reallly enough memory and stuff to run linux, lets see what lynch has to say.

9. lynch

lynch

I'd have to agree with trevor1,ram will be a bottleneck.You can try it running a lightweight window manager like blackbox,fluxbox or fvwm2.KDE would run but it'd be kinda slow.Linux with just the command line interface(CLI) would work fine if you wanted to try it that way.
    lynch

10. trevor1

trevor1

Ya, blackbox and fluxbox are really resource freindly. gnome migh work but slow...

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/116953

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice