1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

what version of ubuntu should I put on my crappy laptop

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by playme123, Jul 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. playme123

playme123 Thread Starter

IVe got a samsung vm7000 laptop its got a massive 6gb hard drive, a whopping 128 of ram and think the processer its intel celeron. Im absolutley fed up with the slow speed of it on xp would kubuntu work on this and would I have issues with my d link wireless card, or any other version of linux that is newbie friendly :eek:

2. InterKnight

InterKnight

Hello, playme123.

I think Puppy Linux may work for your system. My uncle and I tested it on a Pentium 266 desktop with around 92MB of RAM. The live CD ran surprisingly well; the hard drive installation ran even better. I think your D-Link card may work, but don't quote me on that. could always ask at the Puppy Linux forums if you have any issues.

As far as Ubuntu goes, the minimum requirement just for Xubuntu (a lightweight version using the Xfce desktop) is 192MB RAM. Puppy Linux (I believe) only requires (minimum) 64MB.

Hope this is of some help to you.

Take care.

3. playme123

playme123 Thread Starter

think puppy linux is the way to go for the lappy, got another lappy with a wee bit lower specs that would probably put puppy on also. This lappy and the other one are only really used for surfing and msn while I sit watching tv. The other one is a toshiba satellite 1620cds that I want to give to my mum who will basically do the above with it also, just wireless issue with both which im going to look into on the puppy forums for info.
    thanks for the reply:D

4. InterKnight

InterKnight

No problem, playme123.

I hope it all works out for you. Puppy seems pretty nice; I just don't know how to get a screen magnifier installed onto it (if it uses GNOME, it may be easy), as I'd be helpless without one.

I can say one thing, though, I'm Windows free!! :))

5. playme123

playme123 Thread Starter

and one day I hope to be, just got to know what im doing with linux before I try and convert me husband he wont even use firefox in ubuntu at the moment:eek: :D :D :D

6. InterKnight

InterKnight

Awhile ago, my wife wouldn't really use Linux at all. Things changed, though,when she found out about how M$ plans to stop selling Windows XP in January 2008; although many argue, eventually they'll stop supporting it as well. I used to have a dual boot system with XP/Ubuntu, but it is now a single-boot system with Ubuntu.

It just takes time, really. I've seen a lot of people who hear about Linux and open source free software, and they think it is garbage because there is not a price tag that comes with it. I'll tell you something: I used a screen magnifier called ZoomText in Windows. The company who developed it now charge nearly $800 for the thing...The magnifier I use in Ubuntu offers the same quality as the $800 product, but it is free. Things like that are what I love so much about Linux.

I am now (I feel) an intermediate user, but not too long ago I was a beginner. There are a lot of helpful people here who will definitely do their best to help you out. I'll do my best as well.

It's really kind of fun messing with Linux when it boils down to it.

In any case, I'll wrap this up before I write a book.

Take care, and best wishes.

7. playme123

playme123 Thread Starter

have mangaed to run puppy 215 on a live cd on lappy just need to get the wireless working and ill be of it says in the list of cards that work with puppy mine is on it so just got to get it up and running and ill be taking puppy for a walk, ill have a look about the screen magnifier for you later

8. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

Vector Linux is pretty lite as well. It too has a LiveCD you may want to try b4 making a decision. I am very impressed with it.

9. playme123

playme123 Thread Starter

cheers mate will have a look, now I know how to burn a live cd ill be well away trying all the different distros:D

10. briealeida

briealeida

That's what I do! A distro a day keeps . . . *something* away!

11. playme123

playme123 Thread Starter

I like puppy however is there a distro out there small enough for lappy that has just recently been recently released

12. briealeida

briealeida

It's part of the way down the page. http://bengross.com/smallunix.html

The only thing is. It's going to be hard to find a super tiny distro that also has a GUI.
    How do you feel about the command line? Do you have a USB port? You can attach an external hard drive and do it that way.

13. playme123

playme123 Thread Starter

right the external hard drive I have wont work anywere ie desktop, media tower, laptop, im still wary of the command like as frightened ill bugger something up. May buy one of ebay or buy new internal hard drive for lappy to be honest.

14. marketraise2007

marketraise2007

Ubuntu 7.04 is generally used for laptop.Your graphics card has to be compatible with compiz/beryl.Moreover you can try Fedora, SuSE,e.t.c.

15. InterKnight

InterKnight

Hope all is going well for you, playme123.

I forgot to mention: If you want to research any distros, here is a pretty good site which use:
    http://www.distrowatch.com/

Just don't let their numbering system discourage you (like how certain distros are higher on the list than others). I think it's based on the number of users which use the particular distros that puts them toward the top of the list, and not so much the quality of the distro.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/596952

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice