1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What voltage to power connector?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by catlady13, Oct 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. catlady13

catlady13 Thread Starter

HI .. I am working on fixing a pc for a friend.. has a multitude of problems I think but was trying to test the power supply unit with my handy dandy little voltage meter when I realized I wasn't sure if the power to the connector for the hard drive /and or cdrom drives should be 12 and 5 or 12 and 3.3 . Gosh darn could somebody please tell me. I keep trying to look it up online but get everything but.. did find a great site on how hard drives work though LOL .. so shall keep that..
    Thank you so much ..

2. catlady13

catlady13 Thread Starter

PS .. a friend said to check the power to the mother board as well but how on earth do you get the probes down far enough ? or is there another way to do it ?

3. n2gun

n2gun

You should be able to check all voltages at the power connecot om the motherboard. Attached is a pic of the atx connector with the voltages listed. Be aware it will have to be attached so you can turn on the power supply.

Attached Files:

4. Moonshine17c

Moonshine17c

Hi catlady, On the voltage thing for the HD and CD-Rom, I am almost certain that it is 12V and 5V. Been round a couple of guys I work with to make sure and they back this up.
    (God I hope I'm right) ;)

5. catlady13

catlady13 Thread Starter

thanks Moonshine cause if that is right .. the 5 V. wasnt' coming up to even quite 4.5 so then the power supply is hooped.. shall have to find a working one that is atx and swap them thank you ..

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

FWIW, if you have long probes, you can usually just probe on the top of the power connector, that's how I always measure them. If you don't have long probes, they're a good investment.

7. catlady13

catlady13 Thread Starter

Thanks Johnwill , they are quite long , plenty long enough I was just afraid to shove them down the power connector from the top when it is plugged into the motherboard. I was afraid of damaging something..

8. catlady13

catlady13 Thread Starter

HI I swapped out the power supply and got this thing to post .. Now I have two identical systems and the first one I also got to post with the cpu I am using now but have the same problem with both .. hit the del key as it states on first page but it won't boot into the cmos . I swapped the cpu and heatsink/fan into the second motherboard same thing. I did TWICE get it to boot to a boot disk in the floppy drive but now it won't. Another very odd thing. Once it finally recognized everything at post ( floppy drive, hard drive, cdrom ) I screwed everything in tight and set it upright.. (had been booting it laying down ) and now it won't boot . I lay it back down and it does.. (this one puzzles )me but still no cmos

9. catlady13

catlady13 Thread Starter

PS the one cpu is toast as far as I can see so I seem to have one working cpu and heatsink /fan which I replaced.

10. Lurker1

Lurker1

Hi catlady13

Are you sure that the DEL key is the correct one for you system? Different systems use different keys to enter the bios. If you are using the correct key at the correct time I would try a different keyboard. Is the keyboard plugged into the keyboard socket and not the mouse port?

For booting laying down only recheck and make sure that the connections are tight to all the cables and memory.

11. catlady13

catlady13 Thread Starter

HI Lurker , it says on the start up page to hit del key for setup. I have swapped out the keyboard and actually used it after I got it to boot to a boot disk. I managed to get it fdisked and then when it went to install windows it stopped..Now it won't boot back into the boot disk. And it won't go into a bios . When I try that I still get blackness, nothing. It now boots upright. I still get post. It still shows the hard drive and the cdrom drive , but will no longer boot into the A drive. Well occasionally it will but right now mostly it won't. Since I have been able to get it to post and start , it has been asking to start with 5 different network options, but no cmos to change boot order. It appears to be able to boot to a boot disk though since I did that a few times but now it won't . The next thing I am thinking of is taking out the mother board and checking it with it out of the computer. Is this a good idea? I seem to keep seeing that on here. Now I have put a number of them in but have never taken one out . Any good ideas on how to do that ?

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169887

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice