1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved What web browser to use with XP?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by pkoryn, Apr 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pkoryn

pkoryn Thread Starter

My husband continues to use an old XP machine which works fine. He doesn't do anything sensitive on it like banking, but just checks email and surfs the net. He has been using Firefox as his browser which works great, but I understand they will be dropping support for XP in May or June. I've been looking into alternative browsers and was wondering about Slimjet? I see that version 10 looks like it still works for XP. Anyone have any input on Slimjet - or maybe another browser I could consider? And I guess I don't know how to go about downloading the correct version of the browser. For example, Slimjet is up to version 18 (I think) so how does one get version 10 downloaded? Appreciate any assistance you can offer!

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Mozilla Firefox 52.7.4 ESR is the only up-to-date browser that I'm aware of that still supports Windows XP SP3 32-bit, and is what I use.
    However, it supposedly will be dropping support in the fall.

Internet Explorer 8 is too old and no longer supported by most websites, and the up-to-date version of Google Chrome hasn't been supported since 2016.

Slimjet 18.0.5.0
    is the up-to-date version, but it does not support Windows XP or Windows Vista users.
    10.0.13.0 is the supported version for those "extinct" operating systems.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
  3. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Unfortunately, I believe it's time to let go of XP and move on. Not because it's no good, but you won't be able to find a browser or an antivirus supporting XP. You may not be using the computer for sensitive stuff, but still, the operating system can get compromised by malware and become very unstable or slow. But most importantly, if your important files and documents aren't securely backed up on external media, you might lose everything, especially if you get caught with ransomware.

There are very cheap and secure alternatives to consider. You have a choice of many free Linux distributions you can either install, or use as a version of the operating system that can be booted from a CD (or a DVD or, in some cases, a USB drive) without actually being installed on the computer's hard drive.

Or, what I did, if you do not care for Linux, is to get yourself a Chromebook or a Chromebox (what I chose). Go through the following thread I made about Chrome OS HERE to get a better idea.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
  4. pkoryn

pkoryn Thread Starter

Thank you both for your replies. I will keep on with Firefox until it is no longer supported and then will check into Slimjet. I have been trying to convince my husband that a Chromebook would serve his needs very nicely. Hopefully I'll be successful and I appreciate your insights Phantom010.

5. Phantom010

Leaving Windows behind his not easy for most of us. I spent 20 years with Microsoft. Ending XP was the last straw for me though. I'm so happy to have discovered Chrome OS that I'm never looking back! I should have taken the decision 4 years ago.

Take care.

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You're welcome, and good luck. (y)

---------------------------------------------------------------

7. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Just get him something newer.

When a version of Windows becomes impractical, I take my husband's desktop computer off the internet and tell him this is what he will be using.
    I moved him from Windows 98 to Windows 2000, then to XP and now to 7. (Actually the hardest thing was moving him to a newer version of WordPerfect).
    He still uses his XP computer with an old printer attached to print name labels. He has his database backed up to two different USB sticks. He loads the db on the XP computer, set his parameters and starts printing.

I make sure I have a shortcut to the browser on his desktop and I import all his bookmarks. I have his browser set to open his 3 most used websites.

I even switched browsers on him. I moved him from Firefox which kept getting slower and slower to Palemoon. As long as he can get to his sites, it doesn't matter what version of Windows or what browser.

8. Phantom010

Yeah, Firefox was getting slower and slower on my XP as well. Many months without anything other than security updates was having an effect on Firefox.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1209535

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice