1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What will happen to 2nd harddrive if...

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by SweetChick, Apr 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SweetChick

SweetChick Thread Starter

I'm wanting to replace the factory 40 GB main drive on my Dell 8200 with a Maxtor 7200 RPM 120 GB drive, I currently have a Maxtor 30GB drive as a second harddrive with 3-10GB partitions on it called F,G and H drive that I use for all my storage like pictures, movies and MP3's. If I just replace the main drive and reinstall XP Home from the Dell reinstall disk will it recognize the 2nd harddrive like it is now or should I diconnnect it before I install the new main drive? Thanks

2. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

That should be fine. I have several removable drives that are recognized with no problems and reinstalling the OS.

The only thing you may need to do is go into Disk Management and assign it a drive letter.

3. SweetChick

Well I just installed the drive and it is giving problems so I put back the old one so I could get online to figure out the problem, I installed the drive and loaded the Maxblast CD to set up the drive and that worked fine, then when it's restarted I get a error that says "NTLDR IS MISSING" I set the new drive up just like the old one which had the jumpers set for Cable Select. I used the old cable that was in the computer, the harddrive came with a new cable, could that be the problem?

4. SweetChick

I just tryed the new cable and it won't work anyway, the second drive connector is too far away from the primary one and won't reach the drive on my DELL. It's cable has the connectors about 2" apart and the new one is about 6".

5. mcse72

mcse72

Have you checked the BIOS with the new drive to see if its being detected? Set the primary master on "auto" with the new drive installed and retry.

6. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Is the problem now with the new 120 gig drive not booting?

For starters I am assuming that the jumpers are set correctly and the drive is correctly identified by the CMOS as the right size.

How was the original partitioning done on the new drive. Hopefully you didn't use any of the Maxtor software since this has a history of not working with NT based operating systems.

7. SweetChick

Well unfortunately I read the Maxtor instructions and used the set-up CD, I should know by now to never follow instructions :mad: , anyway to reverse the damage done???

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/219289

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice