1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What Wires Do I Need?

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by blitzkrieg566, Jan 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. blitzkrieg566

blitzkrieg566 Thread Starter

Hello everyone, I was wondering if anyone could tell me what wires I need to 1) transfer video from my digital camera to my laptop, and 2) connect my camera to Ustream?

Camera - Canon Vixia Hg21
    Laptop - Compaq Notebook CQ 70 - 120 US w/ Windows Vista

This has become a desperate situation and has driven me up the wall. There's no firewire port to speak of on my laptop or camera, and it none of the wires it came with help with either of these things.

2. tomdkat

tomdkat Retired Trusted Advisor

If you are shooting HD video, you will probably need to use the HDMI port on the camcorder to connect to your computer. Your laptop probably doesn't have a HDMI input so you will need to get a device to bridge the gap.

A device like this USB to HDMI adapter *might* do the trick but I'm not 100% sure. I don't know if USB has enough bandwidth to support HD video and audio transfer. At the very least, this kind of adapter is the starting point of the kind of device you will need to find.

Peace...

3. blitzkrieg566

I meant to mention that in my earlier post, I have no intention of using the HD capability for either process. In fact, the lower video settings will be the norm for the things I am filming/ transferring, does that change how I can go about this problem?

4. tomdkat

Yep, it does. There should be a cable with the camera with a small connector on one end and yellow, red, and white round connectors on the other end. This is for a composite video connection (so you can connect the camcorder to your TV or VCR directly).

Using that cable, you can use a device like the Pinnacle Dazzle to connect your camcorder to your computer using a USB connection. You plug the Dazzle device into your computer's USB port and you connect your camcorder to the Dazzle device using the composite video (yellow connector) and analog stereo audio (red and white connectors) cable and voila, you can transfer video to your computer for editing, burning to DVD, etc.

My boss uses one of these Dazzle devices to transfer Hi8 video to his PC for making football highlight DVDs of his son's football team. :)

Peace...

5. blitzkrieg566

Thanks for the help, I checked out the program you referenced and it works perfectly for me, however my camera is incompatible with Ustream (all hi-def cameras seem to be) so I'll have to use something else for it. Thanks again.

6. tomdkat

Even if you configure the camera to output a 480i signal? Using the composite (yellow connector) video connection won't output a HD video signal, only the component (red, blue, green connectors) will. So, by using the composite video connection, it would be as if you didn't have a HD camera connected. At least, that's what I'm thinking.

Did a Ustream rep tell you HD cameras aren't supported? If so, go back to them and ask about a HD camera NOT sending out a HD video feed.

Peace...

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/787600

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice