1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What would I need a PCIe x8 expansion port for?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by vmseaber3, Sep 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vmseaber3

vmseaber3 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Virgil
    I am considering on purchasing a Gigabyte Z370 HD3P motherboard to start a new computer build. However, it lacks a PCIe x8. After a bit more research, I found a Gigabyte Z370 UD3H that had a PCIe x8. And, it would cost $100 more. However, It is only sold outside of the US. and Gigabyte would not say why. The Z370 UD3H also has Dual m.2 ports, a PCIe x16, PCIe x8, PCIe x4, and 3 x PCIe x1's However this board is only sold on Alibaba in China. I'm afraid of the expense of the cost of customer support if I have touble with the motherboard. I'm also trying to consider upgrades in the future. I use my computer primarily for eBay sales, accounting, photo collections and am considering on looking into gaming.

If I decide to go with the Gigabyte Z370 HD3P, am I giving up much to be without 1-PCIe x8?

2. tecknurd

tecknurd

There are cards that will use it. The way you use your computer will be a waste if you are looking for a motherboard with an x8 PCIe slot. For gaming, all you need to do find is a motherboard with an x16 PCIe slot. PCIe is backward compatible to x1. This means if the chosen motherboard comes with two x16 slots, an x8 PCIe card can be used and an x16 graphics card. I have successfully used an x1 card in an x16 slot. The only thing you will be giving up is money for the slot that you don't need.

To save money and enter into computer gaming, I suggest motherboards with the H series chipsets when using Intel processors and not thinking of overclocking in the future. The processor you should get is either an i5 or i7 that is clocked around 3.2 GHz or faster. AMD Ryzen processors can also be considered. I suggest look into Ryzen 5 like the Ryzen 5 2600 or a Ryzen 5 2400G. I suggest going with B350 or B450 for an AMD system to keep the price low. The video card that I suggest is AMD Radeon RX 580 8 GB or nVidia GeForce GTX 1060 6 GB. NVIDIA has better support for their graphics cards.

3. OverTallman

OverTallman

First Name:
    Jacky
    That second PCIe is mostly used by secondary GPU in CrossFire config (Z370-HD3P doesn't support SLI), though it'll work fine with a PCIe x16 card, the card will just run in x4 mode as that slot is wired to x4 only.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1216532

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice