1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What would you do? Input needed.

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by buf, Feb 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. buf

buf Thread Starter

Guess I am just being thick headed about this, but please tell me what you might think of this c/p. The first part of the c/p is the screen I get when I click on the file to listen to the music. This file was originally on the HDD of one of my other PCs and I moved it to this new PC when I installed MY Win98SE. The music on the CD was placed there by my nephew when he wrote and sang the song. It was not a commercial CD but instead it was only a sample of the recording. Never saw anything like this before but I suspect it has occurred because I upgraded WMP to 6.4--my preference of the media players. I think the intent of MS is to help the industry guard against pirated musical CDs.
    I can get around this by just deleting the file from my PC but there must be another way to avoid that cause it is good. And no, nephew does not live close by. Perhaps I could send the file back to the PC where it was and burn a CD of the song--could I??

Welcome to Windows Media Personal License Migration Service.
    You have reached this page because you are attempting to do one of the following with content that was copied from CDs:

Restore the content on a computer or operating system that has been upgraded, or
    Use existing content on another one of your computers.

PLEASE NOTE:
    If you re-install an operating system or install a completely new operating system on a computer on which you have previously maintained licenses, that computer will appear to be a new, unique computer to this service when you migrate licenses. However, upgrading the operating system will not change the identity of the computer as far as this process is concerned.

Any unauthorized use of the content may be a violation of the law, including U.S. and international copyright laws, and may subject you to civil and criminal prosecution.

If you wish to read our policy page, click the link above. If you want to migrate licenses now, click the Migrate License button. Otherwise, click Cancel.

AND BELOW IS MICROSOFT'S PRIVACY STATEMENT:

Privacy Statement for Windows Media Personal License Migration Service
    Microsoft takes very seriously your concerns about the privacy of your personal information and will protect the privacy of information you provide through Windows Media Personal License Migration Service.

Windows Media Personal License Migration Service
    Microsoft worked with music labels, film studios, software developers, and others to develop a suitable policy and service for migrating licenses. The goal of this service is to grant users permission to migrate and move digital media licenses between personal computers and devices for legitimate use. This service allows a limited number of license transactions. Specifically, this service does not permit licenses to exist on more than ten unique computers.

When you migrate your licenses, you are sending some information to Microsoft that uniquely identifies your computer for internal tracking purposes. We store this unique computer identifier in a database and count the number of times you attempt to migrate a license. We do not share this unique computer identifier with any other services, either internal or external to Microsoft.

Contacting Microsoft
    If you believe that Microsoft has not adhered to these privacy principles, please notify us by e-mail at [email protected] or by postal mail at the following address:

Microsoft Corporation
    Attn: Windows Media Rights Manager Service
    One Microsoft Way
    Redmond, Washington 98052-6399
    USA

2. Jtoast

Jtoast

i would click on ok and let it update the licenses.

but then im lazy

3. buf

buf Thread Starter

Thanks Jtoast but I don't want to "bow down" to MS because what I have is legit. I may have no other choice but merge the licenses. Any thoughts about sending the file back to the original PC it came from and burning it to a CD?? This is only a demo CD recording; not something that is even on the market--and it may never be!!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!