1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What would you recommend? (Thank you!)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JDcompy, Jan 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JDcompy

JDcompy Thread Starter

Hi there,

Thank you in advance for all time and effort - I really appreciate it!

I just reinstalled windows on my desktop and am having a myriad of issues with getting particular drivers working and it freezes every few minutes. Especially if I'm trying to play a video.

I've given up on it and I'd like to explore a laptop option but I have no idea what I want/need.

I wouldn't use it for any games. I would do minimal typing. It's main function would be to watch Netflix on it or watch video files on it. It would be great to be able to check email and do a few other simple functions. But the top priority would be watching video. And, I REALLY want to be able to connect to my HDTV via HDMI.

I've tried looking for a couple of weeks now for laptops but I honestly have no idea what processor I need to have or the amount of memory. I recognize that more is pretty much always better, but I'd like to keep costs as low as possible and just be able to do what I'm looking to do on it. One other very important thing for me is no Windows 8. Windows 7 is fine - just not Windows 8. Can anyone recommend a laptop or specs or guide me somewhere? I would really, really appreciate it!

Thank you again in advance - your time is really appreciated!

JD

2. JDcompy

JDcompy Thread Starter

Another issue I run into, and I'm hoping I'm just not looking in the right places - I can't seem to find anything under $300. :/

3. JDcompy

JDcompy Thread Starter

One other question: I intend to have this new laptop a long time. Is refurbished an okay way to go to save money? Or, if I'm buying for the long run, should I only buy new?

thank you!

4. valis

valis Moderator

May want to look into a tablet; that meets pretty much everything save the HDMI part. This may be one of those pick 2 problems;

Cheap
    HDMI
    Streaming capability

Pick two.....as no device will meet all three. Well, outside of a Pi, but that is a horse of a different flavor.

5. JDcompy

JDcompy Thread Starter

Hi Valis,

I appreciate your reply. I definitely respect your opinion. I know I do not want a tablet. My main objective is to hook it up to my HDTV and watch a movie on that screen. 90% of what I would watch would be movie/video files. Only 10% would be streaming.

Thank you!!

6. valis

valis Moderator

7. JDcompy

JDcompy Thread Starter

I promise I'm not trying to be difficult! I've had VERY bad results with HP. Along with a myriad of other issues, my previous HPs all ran VERY hot and often had heatsync issues. One of the motivators to getting a laptop and not a desktop for our bedroom/HDTV is because my current desktop puts out a lot of heat and I have a lot of difficulty breathing. I was hoping a laptop would eliminate the massive heat factor in the room. Would you agree?

8. valis

valis Moderator

Again, it aint you, its the limitations you provide. Thats about the best I got. IMO, its a solid laptop that meets your needs and the price point.

thanks,

v

9. billmcct

billmcct

First Name:
    Bill
    JD,
    I use my Panasonic Blueray player that is connected to my tv to connect to my Netflix account. It connects through the wireless Modem and shows Netflix webpage on the tv screen. I can sit on my couch and do everything with the tv remote that I could do on the computer. I really never used my computer for Netflix except when I set up my account and login.

Bill

10. valis

valis Moderator

Thanks for this Bill; I dont even have a VHS anymore, and didnt know how smart the blueray players had gotten.

Under $300?

11. billmcct

billmcct

First Name:
    Bill
    About $80.00 at Walmart. Not all brands will give you the on screen page. Read the box To make sure it will connect wirelessly to the internet and Netflix. I can ony testify on the Panasonics, I have three, all different models but they all work the same. At least you want have to have your computer running all the time.

Edit> I should mention that they will connect to a lot of other sites as well. As stated read the box . They are getting really quite advanced. My last purchase was about 2 years ago so a newer model could be even better.

Bill

12. valis

valis Moderator

Thanks again...going to have to check that out myself....i got absolutely zero blueray disks, but this sounds like playing those is secondary....(y)

13. billmcct

billmcct

First Name:
    Bill
    Plays DVD and CD but if you have Netflix you don't need any movie disks.

Bill

14. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    An even cheaper way to watch Netflix or streaming media is the Chromecast; $35.

15. KomputerKid

KomputerKid

WOW, this seems like and auction with the prices getting lower. :D

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1142117

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice