1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Whats a good 550w PSU?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by antonhs, Sep 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. antonhs

antonhs Thread Starter

Well following on from my other thread - ive decided that my PSU is buggered.

I need a new 550w PSU any reccomendations? Im not really wanting to spend £50 or more on a PSU.

I need 550w as ive 3 cd/dvd drives, 1 case fan, 1 pci fan, 3 pci cards, and a gefore 6800GT gfx card running a AMD 2400+

Thanks for your suggestions

2. dai

dai

i use an antec 550 tru power,don't skimp on the power supply it is one of the most important parts of your comp.
    you will find that little bit extra is well worth it down the track

3. Soiled

Soiled

could getting like a cheap PSU damage your hardware? small power dips and spikes would cause damage but thats not always the PSU's fault is it?

yet with all that gear in one system, risking damage to any one of the components isnt worth a cheap unit.

go big, or go home. :D

4. southernlady

southernlady

An Antec runs $90-160 according to the pricing at www.pcmag.com I don't know what it can be found for at www.pricewatch.com I haven't checked there yet. I hope you find something in your price range. If that doesn't work out, try a Chiefmax. That's what we are using and are VERY happy with it. Liz

5. brite750

brite750

before you guys get going please notice that poster is from UK and doesn't want to spend 50 lbs, (UK money), i don't know how much that is, but looking on UK sites you ain't gettin an Antec for 50 lbs.

6. brite750

brite750

holy cow, 50gbp = 89usd, yikes :eek:

7. southernlady

southernlady

That's why I posted the $US dollar amount from pcmag. And an alternative that *I* use, brite750. I DID notice he was from the UK. Liz

8. dai

dai

mine cost A$179 approx 72uk pounds or US$120 a 550 generic cost around A$60 we don't have a vast selection of quality supplies here.
    but at the end of the day you get what you pay for

9. brite750

brite750

Oh yeah, you were on the other post, poster is trying to get an answer that just isn't going to be given., If you only have 50gbp that's all you have, buy a Q-Tec and be happy.

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Do yourself a favor and save the cash until you can afford a quality ps. It is better to spend a few dollars more now then to have to replace a cheap no-name unit later. Brands I use and recommend are Antec, Enermax, Enlight, Sparkle, and Coolmax. I just picked up a Sparkle 550W a few weeks ago for myself. I think it ran $99.00 USD.

11. brite750

brite750

Maybe you can find some good site in UK, i had no good luck, it looks like they have Antec, too much $, Enermax, too much $$, Q-tec, :confused: and generic, darn 3rd world countries. :D

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I looked on a few sites that ship to the UK and there is not much choice. He might be better off going to a local shop and picking one up.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!