1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

what's a good DVD player for desktop?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by bj nick, Feb 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

I've used WinDVD on my laptop and it's great. For my new desktop, what is a really good DVD player that is inexpensive (free?) that has all the basic controls (rw, ff, etc.) and works well? Should i just use WMP? I don't really care for it, to be honest.....suggestions?

thanks!

2. gamerbyron

gamerbyron

You can google it.

3. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

thanks a lot.

4. stantley

stantley

VLC media player is free, plays DVD's and just about any other video format.

5. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

6. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

I tried the VLC player on a commercial DVD, and it keeps cutting in and out....not so bad that the movie is unwatchable, but enough that it is very annoying. Also, it doesn't have a rewind and fast forward....( I don't understand why all players don't have these features; they seem pretty basic to me.)

Anyway, so it won't work. Any other ideas? I was going to go ahead and get Intervideo or one of those programs that enable WMP, but I don't know if that's the best way to go. I am going to be watching movies on this computer and I want great playback. It doesn't have to be free by any means, but I want great DVD playback. I know WinDVD is really great, becasuse I use it on my laptop....is that the best way to go?

thanks for any suggestions.

7. stantley

stantley

8. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

9. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

That's funny, mine even has eject.

Attached Files:

10. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

I don't need "eject," really, and the buttons that seem to show fast forward and rewind are not really those functions. The one that looks like rewind is actually "slow play," for example. You can switch to another chapter or scene, but I just want to be able to rewind and fast forward...

it's a moot point, because on my system the player just doesn't work. I take the same DVD on my laptop on WinDVD and it plays just great.

I really appreciate the help, but I probably need to get a good player and spend the money.....I'm wondering which is the best....

11. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

Someone suggested DivX....does anyone have an opinion on that player?

12. lister

lister

Windows Media Player plays DVDs.

13. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

Not quite moot since a lot of players are similar.

In that snapshot there is a feature you can't see because I wasn't playing anything.
    When you open a file and play it, there is a slider on the bottom that moves with the progress of what you are playing. You can grab that slider and move to any point in the movie you like.
    Fast forward, Fast Play, the only difference is one gives you a preview.

No fast forward with DVDs' at all if that is how you are looking at it. At least no DVD player I have owned or seen quits showing movie and just has time flying by on the counter.
    You do fast play or scene advance. DVD is not a tape, I can start at the end without having to "Fast Forward."

Too bad VLC won't work for you, it is always my first choice.
    I'd try re-installing it.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/680247