1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What's a good free Anti-Virus program other than AVG or Avast?

Discussion in 'General Security' started by one.sensei, Jul 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. one.sensei

one.sensei Thread Starter

Thanks.

2. stantley

stantley

3. 2twenty2

2twenty2

4. one.sensei

For Avira:

That's why I don't want Avast.. :/

How good is PC tools?

5. stantley

stantley

I recently switched from AVG to Avast and when you first get it will nag you 30 before the trial is up, but as soon as you register that nag goes away.

The only other thing that Avast notifies me about is when it updates the virus database and you can turn that off if you want. If fact you can put it in 'Silent' running mode and you don't even know it's there.

6. hairbender1950

hairbender1950

I run Avast on one of my computers and my mother's computer too.
    The free antivirus software for personal use,has never nagged me. You do have to register the free version and put in an activation key number(very easy to do this). But for great free antivirus I don't mind doing this every 14 months.

Stanley, are you referring to the paid version, since you talked about trial being up.

I really like Avast and when my paid antivirus expires, on my newer computer, I plan on using the free AVAST.

7. one.sensei

It's not really the nag, but avast seems to take over my computer. I couldn't uninstall it, and there was one more major issue, though I can't remember what it is.

I've had no problems with AVG, but it won't install on my computer. Plus I want one that isn't a 'recource hog'. This computer I need an AV for has very little ram and only 4 GB and 1.5 GB hard drives.. So a very light-weight yet effective AV seems in order.

8. stantley

stantley

No, I was talking about the free version which for whatever reason they call a trial version.

From the Avast website:
    So if you register in the first 30 days you won't see the nag screen.

9. one.sensei

What about clamwin? Is that at all good at protection?

I heard that's light-weight.

10. stantley

stantley

When you install Avast you can install just what you need. For example, I don't use P2P programs so I didn't install the P2P shield and I very seldom IM so I didn't install the IM shield. I just have the Standard shield, Email and web shield.

If your ISP scans your email for viruses you wouldn't need the email scanner. Maybe it would run smoother if you only installed the Standard shield.

From what I've read Clamwin is not that effective. It's average to below average.

11. hairbender1950

hairbender1950

One,sensei, thanks for explaining.

Stanley, thanks for the quote, saved me some time.

I registered it the very day I installed it. Explains why I didn't get nagged.

12. one.sensei

Ok, what about active virus shield?

I'm searching around for AVs on yahoo answers, and reading reviews, but everyone is just suggesting Avast and avira. If Avast is good, I guess I could give it another try.

13. ferrija1

ferrija1

If you have a machine old enough to have a 4GB hard drive, everything is going to be a resource hog. I would definitely try Avast again.

14. one.sensei

It's actually not a very old machine. The 4 GB HD is for the OS, and there was a 60 GB HD for storage, but became corrupt and had to be replaced.
    Would avast be better than avira for my system?

15. ferrija1

ferrija1

Avira, it has a better detection rate and is a lightweight program compared to Avast.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/734337

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice