1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Whats a good Toshiba

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by xgerryx, Jan 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xgerryx

xgerryx Thread Starter

Hi guys,

I have been asked by a friend to recommend a good laptop.
    He needs a machine suitable for displaying good photography images and needs a fairly rugged machine suitable for travel.
    Any advice very much appreciated.
    He has a preference for Toshiba but is open to good advice.

Gerry

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Well, Toshiba have the best rep as far as my last 6 have gone, my original 1989 T1000 still goes (but is useless for doing anything but DOS now).

But "rugged" is not a word I would ever describe for any but the quite unsuited commercial Panasonic "ruggedised" workbooks (that are not overly portable or suited for the task), although my present Toshiba has this week alone survived 4 flights in checked luggage...given that I watched the case being thrown onto the plane today (from the sanctuary of the Koru lounge) it is surprising....

Aim for the Centrino or Core Duo Mobile CPU, not anything with a fast desktop CPU in it.
    No way of dissipating the heat.

Although I presently only have a 1.5 GHz Celeron Mobile, its performance equates to about my P4 2 GHz desktop in real life use for me.

The new "brightscreen, clearview etc" glossy screens do seem to be better.

As I am quite colourblind, don't ask about colour rendition though!

3. Compiler

Compiler

The only Toshiba's I care for are... the ones I don't have to use, even if they are a clients.

But... I get paid too.

Toshibas are pretty good for the money - I hate the keyboards. All notebooks are pretty much the same levels of junk unless the budget is in the $2500+ range.

Otherwise, any $650~1100 notebook will do. HPaqs makes some nice 17" models for about $800 (1GB / AMD64 mobile CPU)...

All of notebooks seems to include some glossy cover on the display which makes them horrible since you're always seeing your OWN FACE and anything else it reflect. Geez, with the ANTI glare they stuck on CRTS - who wants a GLARE surface on a notebook? I'll be stuck with it too when I get a notebook ;(

What is HIS budget?

All notebooks are made for TRAVEL... don't drop any of them. If you need RUGGED (such as dropping, dusty enviroments, running over with a car) then only Panasonc's TOUGHBOOKS are available... they are about $2500~5000, special order - and are not usually the fastest thing out there... most models are designed to work outdoors where the sun would make most LCDs turn black.

Here is the one I want: $900
    http://www.compusa.com/products/pro...uct_code=341651&Pn=Pavilion_dv9009us_Notebook

4. xgerryx

xgerryx Thread Starter

We have finally set him up with a Sony Vio which suits him down to the ground as it displays photos very well.

Thanks for your advice guys, as always it is very much appreciated (y) (y) (y)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/538169

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice