1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What's caused RAID Array to become invalid?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ben.lobo, Aug 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ben.lobo

ben.lobo Thread Starter

I've got a 4 disk RAID 0+1 array set up to mirror on two disks and stipe across the other two. My RAID card config is now reporting an invalid RAID and the disks are not showing up in Windows 2000.

The only option that the RAID config currently allows is to delete the invalid RAID array but I'm worried that if I do this, I'm going to lose all the data on the disks.

Does anyone know what I need to do to restore the array without losing any data and/or how do I check if any of the disks are damaged?

The RAID controller is a Silicon Image SiI 0680 (Ultra ATA/133 PCI-to-ATA Host Controller). If anyone knows this card and its BIOS utility, here's what it's currently reporting when I start up:

Set: 1 <1,2,3,4> Invalid RAID

And here's the mesage log for the last few days that's generated by the Medley software utility that runs in Windows 2000:

07-August-2006 11:48.26 Informational - Rebuild started
    Set 0 started a rebuild for member 2 on adapter 0.
    07-August-2006 12:32.23 Error - Device remove
    The secondary slave on adapter 0, WDC WD800JB-00CRA1, was removed.
    07-August-2006 12:32.23 Warning - Member dropped
    Set 0 dropped member 2 on adapter 0 due to a port error. SRB status was Request Timed Out.
    10-August-2006 16:04.29 Informational - Rebuild started
    Set 0 started a rebuild for member 2 on adapter 0.
    10-August-2006 16:06.24 Error - Device remove
    The secondary slave on adapter 0, WDC WD800JB-00CRA1, was removed.
    10-August-2006 16:06.24 Warning - Port Error - Device Selection Timed Out
    Error ocurred on member 2 of set 0 on adapter 0. Secondary Slave - CDB 2a 00 02 27 da 00 00 00 80 00
    10-August-2006 16:06.24 Warning - Member dropped
    Set 0 dropped member 2 on adapter 0 due to a port error. SRB status was Device Selection Timed Out.

2. Rockn

Rockn

If the RAID array is corrupt your data is probably already gone. From your log it looks like the WDC WD800JB-00CRA1 drive is dead. Replace the drive and the mirror should rebuild itself.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'd also keep in mind that RAID in any configuration is NOT backup, it's just a method of providing more speed or availability of your on-line data, depending on the RAID level in use. You still need real backup for your data...

4. ben.lobo

ben.lobo Thread Starter

I do have a backup that's a week old but I'd still like to try and recover the data if possible.

Does anyone know what happens if I delete the RAID set and create a new one? Does it automatically delete the data on the disks, or will it keep the existing data?

5. JohnWill

I'm pretty sure that deleting the RAID set will indeed delete all the data. Your best bet is to rebuild the array. Truthfully, I'm not sure why you can't access it with one drive failed, that's the whole purpose of the RAID-1 configuration!

6. ben.lobo

ben.lobo Thread Starter

Yes that's what should happen but it seems that the RAID configuration information has become corrupt so that the controller doesn't know what type of array the disks were previously in.

Where do controller cards keep the configuration information about the array? Is it on the disks themselves? If so can this also become corrupt and if it does, can it be retrieved or recreated without losing the data on the disks?

7. JohnWill

I suspect every RAID array is slightly different. For the ones I've used, I'm pretty sure it's on the disks. since I've taken the RAID-0 disks out of a system, put a new set of disks in and tried RAID-1, then slapped the old ones in, and they were immediately recognized as a RAID-0 array. That would suggest the configuration traveled with the disks.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!