1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What's eating my memory?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by vadrine, Sep 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vadrine

vadrine Thread Starter

I have a fairly new computer.
    I was working on Photoshop and had a "scratch disk" error... and checked my memory availability and was shocked to see that most of it was used. I don't have a whole lot on this laptop.

7.34 GB free of 58.5 GB.

I tried disk cleanup. That helped a little but barely made a dent. Lots of memory was sitting in some dump file. Everything is clean that can be clean but there is something hiding. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks so much!
    Melissa

2. Sponsor

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

You say "memory" several times, but then also give a number like "58.5 GB" and mention "disk cleanup." Are you talking about memory or hard disk space or both?

If you are talking about your hard drive the "hidden" usage may be related to System Protection. You can change this (but be careful you do not remove too much protection) by Control Panel - System - System protection - System Protection tab.

Before assuming that I am right it's best to use something like Tree Size Free to see if there is some large folder/file that you missed.

4. vadrine

vadrine Thread Starter

I'm so sorry! Yes, my hard disk. It was a long day yesterday. :p
    I downloaded the tree size and this is a rundown.
    [​IMG]

I will try your suggestion about system protection.
    edit: I checked this and it seems in line (I think?)
    current usage: 603 MB
    max usage: 3% (1.76 GB)

Should I change that?

I tried getting onto the site before work this morning but it wasn't loading.
    Thanks for your advice.

5. Nuclear_Ice

Nuclear_Ice

I would recommend installing and running CCleaner. It will clear your temporary files and make more room on your hard drive.

Music and videos take up a lot of space. Do you have a lot of those saved under your "Users" folder?

Also check your downloads folder -- "C:\Users\Username\Downloads", it could be chuck full from things you have downloaded and haven't deleted yet.

Also if you have iTunes installed it puts music/video/apps in "C:\Users\Username\Music\iTunes..." and that would take up a lot of space.

Just check the folders in your libraries and delete stuff you don't need. Other than that there isn't much you can do unless you uninstall unnecessary programs that you don't want or need anymore. It would probably be best to just get a bigger hard drive therefore you can store more data on it without having to worry about space.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

Nothing looks out of line there to me. Your best action is probably to get a larger hard drive, or an external hard drive for your data.

You can get some space back by deleting temp files--run Start - All Programs - Accessories - System Tools - Disk Cleanup and delete entries in your account's Temp file. For the latter press the Start orb and type %temp% in the search bar and press Enter.

If you take the above advice to use CCleaner make sure you do NOT use the Registry Wrecker (cleaner) part.

7. vadrine

vadrine Thread Starter

I'll try Ccleaner... but honestly, this laptop is rarely used and almost new! We use it for very little. My desktop is 6 years old and still has tons of space. There has to be something amiss.

I just thought it'd be easier to identify or some secret area I wasn't aware of.

All download folders are cleared, Disk cleanup was one of the first things I did. Temp folders are cleared as well.
    I made sure of that. Music is minimal. I just don't understand what's up.

8. pcatrocity

pcatrocity

Be careful with CCleaner!
    It's been my experience that CCleaner does not play well with Win 7.
    at least not with the Register cleaning part. I've bad to reinstall 7 three times after using it.
    Now I only use it to wipe free space.

9. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I don't see anything wrong there. You have a very small hard drive. Expand Program Files and Users and see what sub-folders are taking up space. If you don't want to replace the drive, you have to uninstall programs you don't want to use and delete data you don't need.

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

What size hard drive? 64- or 32-bit Windows 7? Have you compared its Treesize output to see how it differs from the laptop's?

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!