1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

whats faster?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rez410, Jan 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rez410

rez410 Thread Starter

OK I have a 160 gig internal HD with about 100 gigs of free space. The interface is Ultra-IDE (sound right?). Its 5400 rpms. I also Have a brand new external 7200 rpm 160 gig drive with a USB 2.0 interface. which HD will be faster? ie game loading times?

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Even though it's a 5400 RPM drive, I have to believe the internal will be faster in this case. The USB 2.0 interface will limit the maximum transfer rate to around 20mbyte/sec, and even a moldy old 5400 RPM drive will beat that handily. :) There are many disk benchmark programs around, here's a simple one that I use for quick measurements, DIskSpeed32. When you run it, don't forget to ask for the "quick" test, or it'll take quite a while. :)

3. Scorpion

Scorpion

Ok, first, before I answer, understand that Mb is megabits, and MB is megabytes (bigger).

So...depending on the ATA speed....
    Ultra DMA ATA 33 - 33MB/sec transfer rate.
    Ultra DMA ATA 66 - 66MB/sec transfer rate.
    Ultra DMA ATA 100 - 100MB/sec transfer rate.
    Ultra DMA ATA 133 - 133MB/sec transfer rate.
    Serial ATA - 150MB/sec transfer rate.

USB 2.0...480Mb/sec transfer rate.....which is only 60MB/sec...so it would be faster than ATA 33, but slower than ATA 66 (which is 528Mb).

Hope that helps :) :cool:

Scorp.

4. rez410

rez410 Thread Starter

ok well the website says 35 MB per second so my internal is faster. If I open the external case what interface will it have? maybe I should just install it internally if possible. I have no real reason for having an external anyway

5. JohnWill

Well, don't count on the ATA speed, since that's just a measure of how fast the interface can move data. The real measure is how fast the data can be made available from the platters of the disk, which is the normal bottleneck for internal drives.

You can take the drive out of the external case, they're bog standard 3.5" drives in there. Truthfully, I like an external drive because it's data storage that's off-line most of the time, very secure for backups. Also, you can take the data with you conveniently.

You might consider doing a clone of your internal drive to the external, then using the faster drive as the internal, and putting the other one in the external case. It's more than fast enough for a USB enclosure, and you'll have the best of both worlds. :)

6. rez410

rez410 Thread Starter

That is a good Idea. but I believe I have heard that HP puts some kind of internal stamp on the motherboards which causes problems with transfering windows. have you heard of this? also whats a good way to clone the HD?

7. rez410

rez410 Thread Starter

anyone?

8. JohnWill

There is no "internal stamp" that I've ever heard of. One thing that HP and other brand name makers do is embed the "recovery partition" on the hard disk instead of giving you real XP CD's.

My recommendation is Acronis True Image, I'm very happy with it's performance for me.

9. rez410

rez410 Thread Starter

ok i just read the post that I was thinking about. It was a new MB that causes the problem with windows, not a new hard drive. any suggestions on software for ghosting a HD?

10. JohnWill

11. rez410

rez410 Thread Starter

12. JohnWill

Well, if you remove the slower hard disk to put into the case, you'll have to format it for the use in the external I would imagine. If you use the case as-is, it's probably already formatted, most of the ready-made USB drives are.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/432377

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice