Tech Support Guy banner

What's for Dinner?

387K views 7K replies 123 participants last post by  2twenty2 
#1 ·
#6,460 ·
Speaking of "dinner." What do you all consider dinner? In my family, dinner could mean either lunch or supper, especially one that was more fancy than a quick meal. Sunday dinner was at noon but "Do you all want to go out for dinner?" usually meant an evening meal.

#6,461 ·
I had to leave my dentures with the dentist, so I ordered subs for the kids and my old lady and I heated up a couple slices of meatloaf and made mashed potatoes. Then I mashed the meatloaf and into the potatoes. I didn't have to chew it ... <sigh> I'll get the teeth back tomorrow!

#6,463 ·
I enjoy looking up the meanings of words. Let's see what their origins have to say.

supper (n.) mid-13c., soper, "the last meal of the day," from Old French soper "evening meal."
OK, we sort of knew this. However, this is surprising:

dinner (n.) c. 1300, "first big meal of the day" (eaten between 9 a.m. and noon), from Old French disner "breakfast" (11c.), from Latin ieiunare "to fast."
Dinner is breakfast!

"Dinner" is used in English for the main meal of the day, but the time of that meal has gradually grown later over the years.
I guess, technically, any meal can be dinner because you are breaking your fast between it and the last meal you ate, which is also dinner.

It's turtle dinners all the way down!