1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

whats going on with Seagate?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by brite750, Nov 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. brite750

brite750 Thread Starter

hey weird problem, i tried d/l'ing Seatools yesterday, the 1.44 fdd version, when you go to put it on the floppies it only loads one disk, its suppose to be a 2 disk program, it loads one and exits, also the drive i'm trying to run the diganostic tools on just freezes in the middle of the test. I can run whatever test is the online one and it comes up with drive is ok etc. but the CD or the floppy tools just freeze and have to reboot. The CD version of Seatools runs fine on my other seagate drive, whats up with this, never had that happen on a drive before.

2. brite750

brite750 Thread Starter

BTW both drives are IDE PATA type one older 40gig, which is one that works, and brand new 80gig which is the problem drive

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

As a test I just downloaded the CD iso and burned it. The program ran without any problems. Have you tried another diagnostic app like HDTune to see if that will scan the drive?

4. brite750

brite750 Thread Starter

sorry about that, company, etc. followed by turkey-coma, anyway, no I havent tried any other programs other than windows scandisk or whatever its called, which ran fine. I even have a real commercial copy of seatools that came with a drive and it does the same thing, you get into the program, pick the tests you want hit the button and in locks, weird. I was just posting to see if anybody has run up against this problem in thier travels. I'll take a look at this HDTine thing, I imagine it will work, but why it doesnt like seatools is still a mystery. The drive in question is a build for a client so I was just worried that I'm giving them a bad drive, but without something failing the test and the program giving me an RMA, I cant really justify that. The pc has been running for 3 days, I've been beating on it with P95, and 3DMark, web surfing, etc., it ran the OS and driver installs just fine, so WTHeck.

5. brite750

brite750 Thread Starter

yeah the HD Tune looks slick, I'll play with that later and see what it says, if it checks out ok I'll have to trust that the drive is ok and just doesnt like seatools for some odd reason, thanks.

another thing that I didnt try was running the drive in a different pc, maybe seatools doesnt like something about that MB, or ram or something specific to that setup.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Yes, it could be the controller / board that the app does not like. Do other drives connected to the same controller work ok with seatools?

7. brite750

brite750 Thread Starter

havent tried that, I only have two working seagates at the moment, ones in my daughters pc, i may do a little more investigating, I may just live with it, if the drive dies for some reason it has a 5 year warantee anyway, i just hate mysteries is all.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!