1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

what's is my watts and how do you understand watts?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by daniel12140, Dec 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daniel12140

daniel12140 Thread Starter

Hi i have a ipower backard bell pc for gaming and i am going to be getting
    a zotac GTX 470, i have a sort of plug for the speaker to take the power from the pc as well.
    I have been told i have a 750 watts from pc world. How did he work this out, here are the specs.

FSP GROUP INC
    model number FSP750-80GLN
    AC input: 100-240V-,12-5A,50-60HZ
    DC output:+3.3V - 30.oA(ORG). +5 -30.oA(red)

+12V1 - 20.oA(yel/blue).
    +12V2 - 20.oA(yel/white)
    +12V3 - 20.oA(yel).+12V4 - 20.oA(yel/blk)
    +5Vsb - 3.0A(purp)

If some one could tell me how this works and what it mean ill be very greatfull

Thank you.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You have a 750W FSP pw supply. FSP is a good mfg. To answer your question, watt is a unit of electrical power. There is a very simple equation for determining watts VxA=W or volts times amps equal watts. Voltage is electrical pressure, amps is a measure of electrical volume. As an example you can have a high voltage and very low amperage [as in the ignition system for your car] thousands of volts but only a very small fraction of an amp. This will give you a shock but not kill you. The battery in your car has 12V and very high amp rating. It will not shock you however short the terminals with metal and you can burn yourself.

As you up the voltage, you need less amperage to do the same work. If it takes 1200 watts to run a given electrical device, you can use 120V house current @10 amps OR you could use 240V @ 5 amp; same amount of wattage or power.

That is probably as clear as mud however do some reading and learning about electrical theory and it will make more sense.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970384

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice