1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What's messing up my e-mail and IRC clients?

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Byronik, Jan 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Byronik

Byronik Thread Starter

Running Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 on a brand new Pavilion DV9000

It's connecting to the Internet just fine using my wireless LAN. I can use Firefox and MSIE with no trouble at all. RealPlayer works. But I can't get any mail client to work (Eudora nor Outlook). And my chat client, mIRC can't find a server. These applications work for me on other computers in the house. Something weird is going on.

Microsoft Outlook

Establishes network connection.
    Finds outgoing mail server [SMTP]
    Finds incoming mail server [POP3]
    Fails to log onto incoming mail server [POP3]
    Fails to send e-mail message

Errors:

Log onto incoming mail service (POP3): Unable to connect to the incoming mail server (POP3). Please verify the port and SSL settings for the incoming server. To access these settings close this dialog, then click More Setings and click on the Advanced tab.

Send test e-mail message: Unable to connect to the outgoing mail server (SMTP). Please verify the port and SSL settings for the outgoing serveer. To access these settings close this dialog, then click More Settings and click on the Advanced tab.

Error message: "Could not find the item. Try again."

mIRC version 6.21

For every server in the world, my status window reports: "Unable to connect to server (Connection refused)"

2. daddyhominum

daddyhominum

3. Byronik

Byronik Thread Starter

I ran some kind of diagnostic and got the following:

Windows cannot connect to the Internet using HTTP, HTTPS, or FTP. This is probably caused by firewall settings on this computer.

Check the firewall settings for the HTTP port (80). HTTPS port(443) and FTP port (21).

You might need to contact your Internet service provider (ISP) or the manufacturer of your firewall software.

So how do I fix that?

4. daddyhominum

daddyhominum

What is the firewall you are using?

If it is Windows Firewall, you can make settings at: control panel>security center>manage security settingsfor> windows firewall>exceptions

5. Byronik

Byronik Thread Starter

Turns out the answer was to uninstall the big Symantec Norton doohickey. Now everytihing works. Thank you for all your help.

M

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/538138

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice