1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Whats my public IP address, and will a firewall, etc. cause trouble?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Stiltzkin, Jan 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Stiltzkin

Stiltzkin Thread Starter

While trying to exchange IP addresses to play an online game, I went to IPChicken.com, but that IP didn't work (that is, the game didnt recognize that IP as my server on the other player's end). In the game, it gives a completely different address, but it looks suspiciously like what I believe "local" IP addresses are. It is something like 168.199.1.101, and isn't that just referring to my postion on my LAN? So how do I get the correct IP address? Could my ZoneAlarm or router be messing me up? Im using XP Home.

2. de8212

de8212

Try this.

Click on the My IP is button.

de

3. Stiltzkin

Stiltzkin Thread Starter

thats what IP chicken gave me. I can assume that that is my actual public IP, but I still can't act as the server in some online games due to the fact that when people enter in that IP, they get nothing. I suspect my router has something to do with it, or possibly my or their firewall. I discovered that I can input trusted IP addresses in my firewall, so Ill try that and tell the other players to as well, and see if that goes anyware. Ill get back to you if it does, or doesnt.

4. PaveFE

PaveFE

I have Win 98 and can tell what my IP is by typing Winip in my Run window. You can find out what yours is on XP, but I can't remember how I did it (I only did it once for a friend who has XP). If you type IP in your help program, it should give you some guidance as to where to look to find it. If I get to my friends house, I look for you.

Hope this helps

5. flyeater

flyeater

Yes it's your router firewall causing the problem. You should be able to play on other servers but can't host. You need to enable that port in your firewall.
    What game do you want to host?

6. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

Each device only has 1 IP, there is no public and private address.
    The problem is your computer's IP is behind the router/firewall.

In Win98 its Start>>Run>>Winipcfg
    In XP its Start>>Run>>IPconfig

You will have to configure your firewall and router to open the correct ports for incoming and outgoing traffic.

7. Stiltzkin

Stiltzkin Thread Starter

I've had the trouble with a few games. I just recently tried to host on Counter-Strike. Again, my firewall has a "trusted addresses" section, I just have to get a friend to try to join my game to see if that will work :)

8. flyeater

flyeater

What kind of router & what OS do you run?

9. Stiltzkin

Stiltzkin Thread Starter

Im using XP Home. what do you mean by "what kind of router"?

10. flyeater

flyeater

You said your on a LAN ? If you don't have a router what kind of network do you have?

11. Stiltzkin

Stiltzkin Thread Starter

I am on a LAN, and I am using a router, I just don't know much about it, and I don't know what you want to know when you ask what kind of router I have. I asked the guy who owns and set up the router and he doesn't know what to tell ya either :)

12. flyeater

flyeater

You hit the nail on the head saying the routers firewall is probably the source of your problem.
    You'll have to set the ports. Read up on the subject here.
    Remeber since Counter Strike is a Half Life mod you can gleam information from any HL mod game. Look at Day of Defeat, Team Fortress Classic, OpFor, etc. Forums/bullitan boards abound on this very subject.
    You'll have to get your "hands dirty" or in this case tie on your noodle and read up a little.

13. Stiltzkin

Stiltzkin Thread Starter

I have been informed that the router (a Linksys btw) is supposed to be allowing all traffic. The only other traffic blocker in action is ZoneAlarm, which I have set to trust the IP addresses that I am trying to connect with...

14. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

Its more than the other person's IP address, the game probably connects to "super-nodes", game servers, etc.

instead of adding alll the IPs to your trusted zone, allow traffic on the ports the game is set to use.

15. Stiltzkin

Stiltzkin Thread Starter

I don't understand how ports work, or what exactly they are even :( Will adding the executables for the program to my trusted list open that particular port?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/116203

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice