Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

What's My Router's Hostname ?

945 views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Couriant 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm a senior citizen computer dummy.

Use a Chromebook to participate in car forums. Our home internet system is AT&T wireless. Signal comes to us from cell tower about a mile away. We have antenna on carport roof, with the modem & WI-FI router in our small computer room.

On a forum I've been posting on for about a month, I was blocked from posting. The reason listed was because the IP address of my home router has been blacklisted. No problems on any other sites, using 2 Chromebooks & a Mac desktop thru this same router.

"Your IP 107.126.64.82 has been blocked because it is blacklisted. For details please see http://www.spamhaus.org/query/bl?ip=107.126.64.82."

The blacklist message had a link I clicked on to a request form for IP address removal from blacklist. BUT, it requires that I enter the "Hostname of this IP".

https://www.spamhaus.org/css/removal/form/

How do I find out what the Hostname of my router's IP address is.

Any other tips on how to get my router's IP address removed from any other lists that may cause me to be blocked from other sites ?

Thanks for any help that I can understand, with my VERY limited computer knowledge. :)

See less See more
#2 ·
How do I find out what the Hostname of my router's IP address is.
I don't know. Searching for "router hostname" gives information, but not much I find useful. If it were me I'd first try using the router's model number. For example, my TRENDnet TEW-812DRU router shows (in the advanced settings) a Device name of "TEW-812DRU". I would try using that.

#3 ·
Any other tips on how to get my router's IP address removed from any other lists that may cause me to be blocked from other sites ?
Often you need to convince your ISP to get their IP addresses unblocked. Two blacklist check sites are Blacklist Check and (also) Blacklist Check. Those two different sites give some info on how to proceed if you are on a list.

#4 ·
Well, nobody I've asked, so far, can help me. So, I'll just call AT&T during business hours & see what they say.

Will probably just have to buy a new router from them.

I ASSUME a new router will have a different IP address than the one I have now, which is blacklisted. Or will it have the same IP address ???

Can they just change the IP address of the router I have now ? Sorry for the dummy questions !

#6 ·
I ASSUME a new router will have a different IP address than the one I have now, which is blacklisted.
Seldom does a single IP address go on a blacklist. Rather, a range of addresses goes on the list. So, even if you get a different IP address (from the same ISP) it may still be on the same blacklist.

Did you look in the router for a "host" or "device" name? Or did you try my suggestion?

#7 ·
I looked at the form to request removal from the black list. To me it's totally stupid. They have the form geared up assuming IPs being blocked are from businesses with domain registrations tied to their allocated blocks of IPs.

No one has a hostname tied to their IP automatically from their ISP. You have to manually go through the steps of registering a domain with a domain/DNS service. I did some quick searches on if there is another way of submitting a request for removal from the black list but haven't found anything. AT&T may be able to help so bring this up when you call them.

#8 ·
@dh455 To echo what has mentioned, typically you are not specifically blocked, but a section of your ISP's IP Address are due to other people triggering the blacklisting. I have worked for an ISP and the only recourse is to get your ISP involved... however depending on the ISP, they may not resolve this if there is only a couple of people affected.

I hope that AT&T will assist with this.

#9 ·
This is a fixed wireless network that works on 4G LTE networks.
Does your device look like this?
https://www.att.com/device-support/article/wireless/KM1320435/ATT/WirelessNetMF279

getting a new modem/router will not change the IP. Your ISP assigns the IP. I've had the same IP from Comcast since Nov. 2017 despite power outages lasting 7 hours and the latest a few weeks ago lasting 19 hours. The modem and router were off for hours. When everything came back on, I still had the same IP. Comcast even had me remove the power from the modem.

#10 ·
OK, here's the scoop.

A nice AT&T lady, in the Phillipines, told me that the system I have has a "dynamic" IP address.

When it re-boots, the IP address changes.

Well, we'd unplugged the big box, which I'd called the router, for a while, then plugged it back in. The IP address did not change.

The lady explained to me that we had to unplug BOTH boxes, not just the big one. She called the big one the "modem", not the router. I asked her if the modem & router were both in that big box. She said yes.

So, we unplugged BOTH boxes. The small one has antenna printed on it, & is connected to the incoming antenna wire. Let 'em stay unplugged less than a minute, then plugged 'em back in. Took about 3 minutes or so for all the lights to come back on, on the big box. By the way, printed on the big box are the words "AT&T U-verse".

After all the lights came back on, she said to try to post on the site where I had been blocked, which I did. Worked great. No problem.

Just so I'd know for sure, I Googled " What is my IP address?". Only the last 3 numbers were changed. But, that new number is not on a blacklist, at least not yet.

Hey, sometimes just a small amount of the correct info can help a lot !

So, if I have this problem again, I'll know just what to do. It'll be fixed in less than 5 minutes. :)

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.