1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Whats perfect for you?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sandiekay, Sep 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sandiekay

sandiekay Thread Starter

What is your opinion of the perfect computer hardware, software combination, including dvd, burners all the extras and the necessities?

2. GwizJoe

GwizJoe

Something I can't afford to even think about...,or a "Seven of Nine" version of "Data" would work just fine for me.

3. zeddy

zeddy

A brand new Amiga computer running AmigaOS, with a plethora of games - taking over the computer world, replacing the PC and showing the MAC up as the overpriced machine that it is....................

......................ah to sleep, perchance to dream!

4. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

Lets see an onyx 4 perchance to dream, or a brand new cray ;)

5. compilerxp

compilerxp

Hey Zeddy, you've made a friend!!

I have 2 Amiga 1000s (one still works) with a Microbotics 2mb RAM expander. And a working Amiga 3000 - which in some ways, AmigaOS 3.0 (1993) is STILL more advanced than WindowsXP.

But... Amiga is quite dead... :(

sandiekay :

That is not a question to ask. There is NO one perfect system. I build computers for friends and clients... part change all the time! new stuff every few months... Different JOBS require different hardware. A store which needs to network 6 work systems does not need a $200 video card or a 100GB hard drive...

1 - What IS your budget.
    2 - does it include a monitor? Its budget should be seperate.
    3 - WHAT do you want to do with the computer. You can save $1000 by getting what will get the job done than a PC with features and junk that are not doing anything for you.

a - Gaming?
    b - Typical office work (Internet / Word)
    c - Video Editing or 3D Rendering?
    d - Educational
    e - Child (3~7)
    f - Photography

Select those that apply.

For MOST people, a $600~800 computer is more than enough.

6. Pendragon

Pendragon

I second that... the ideal system depends on the need.

I'm a computer science student.
    I'm quite happy with my AMD athlon XP 1.7GHz, 512 Mb pc133 RAM, 2 diamond audio 16 channel soundcards, basic AGP graphicscard (can't remember details) but good enough, XP Pro, 52x24x52x CDRW, 16Xdvddrive, and 13Gb HDD...
    Most bits salvanged from older machines. The rest costing the grand sum of £200. (Mainboard (6 32bit PCI, 4 memory slots, no onboard graphics, upgradable to 2.4GHz)/processor/XP Pro/CDRW)

My new laptop... excusing the current problem with sound..

and my (still working) Dragon 32 DOS system... complete with printer and double diskdrive 'audio' cassette port and loads of arcade games... including a 3D dracula, flight sim and Chuckie egg!

7. GwizJoe

GwizJoe

I'll third it...,need should determine the build.

But under the circumstances,if someone told me to build my own "Stand Alone" work-station it would probably go something like this....

The Machine:
    Custom-made Case,Birch Hardwood w/brushed aluminum panels and hardware
    Antec 400watt Power supply
    I-Will DVD266-R Dual P-III Motherboard
    Matched Pair P-III 866 Coppermines
    Speeze "All Aluminum" coolers w/80mm fans
    4 sticks of Nanya 512MB ECC PC2100 DDR
    4 matched Seagate 120GB 7200/8mb ATA100 Hard-drives (Raid Striped)
    LG 52x24x52 CD-RW
    TDK multi-Format DVD burner
    IBM Floppy
    Crystal 64 bit,6 channel PCI sound card
    Altec Lansing 5100 6-Pc 5.1 Channel Speakers w/Subwoofer
    nVidia Geforce FX5200 128MB DDR 4x/8x AGP w/TV out
    21" NEC Flatscreen CRT monitor (or similar Sony Trinitron)
    PCconcepts Ergonomic "Wave-Pro" keyboard w/touchpad
    Logitec 4-button trackball
    Belkin UPS device

Net Connection:
    Motorola cable Modem w/512up+down service

Software:
    The OS becomes an issue,due to the multi-threading thing.So,I'd probably try to set it up for dual-boot between NT 4 and 98se.
    The full volume of Adobe software
    The full volume of MacroMedia software
    the full volume of Corel software
    All Adaptec burning software
    Business and game software as needed,required,or desired...

*I don't think I would ever get bored with this system...,and it could do just about anything asked of it.

8. compilerxp

compilerxp

Why a dual PIII system board & dual PIII-866?

A single Nforce board with a AMD XP2600 combined is about $225 would still be twice as fast... or a P4 2.6Ghz CPU.

9. greengeek

greengeek

Different people have different needs. I'm quite happy with my Celerons and PIIs, most running Linux. Of course I can't part with my MacSE30 or my C64 either!

10. GwizJoe

GwizJoe

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    compilerxp: Why a dual PIII system board & dual PIII-866?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

A friend of mine here in town raises draught horses.They are beautiful animals.Huge,powerful,and there are few things in this world that are as calm and serene.To be in their presence is both exciting,and humbling.
    A couple weeks ago we had a small celebration marking the town's age.At this celebration,there was an organized "Team Tug-of-War" that many of the local boys were really fired up for.The teams consisted of a combined weight of 1000 pounds.The average team consisted of 5-6 guys(or girls,to some of the boy's dismay).As the games went on,there were some bruised egos,and some earned boasting rights,but they were all shown up in the end.
    It seems that a couple of the boys talked my friend into bringing one of the horses down to the event to challenge the winning team.He laughed...,and told them they'd need more than one team to even make it a good showing.It turns out that an average 800 lb horse can pull approximately 2000 lbs of dead weight.But,they convinced him to do bring one down "just for fun".The boys gathered up 13 volunteers and took a crack at beating the horse at it's own game.
    Well...,it was a great show.Two times in a row they managed to pull the horse backwards across the line,but both times the horse was not started "on the mark".On the last trial,the horse was started "on the mark" and pulled those 13 boys across that line like they were a pile of leaves.
    "Ok,well what about a tractor?" Sure,a tractor of the same weight would easily have shown up even the horse.
    Sitting "Parked" those 13 guys could have dragged an 800 lb tractor around all day,but if engaged,they wouldn't stand a chance.Isn't technology wonderful? But where's the beauty in that?Is it aesthetics that keeps the horse in man's domain?
    It took man hundreds of years to go from the horse to the tractor,but he still hasn't given up the horse completely.It took man 20 years to go from a 5mhz CPU to a 500,and 8 months to go from 600 to 1gig,and an additional 2 years to go from 1 to 3.

When I advise people on purchasing,or refurbishing a computer,I ask them a simple question."What are you going to do with it?" Most often,I get a blank stare,or an "I don't know....,surf the net?". I often have to remind people that there is more "Horsepower" in the common PII computer than what was available to put that little tin can on the moon in 69.When I take that same PII and show them a web camera image of the beach in Australia (opposite side of the earth from me),then move it to show a different angle,I usually get an excited "Yea...,that's what I want".And,when I show them the earth from a satellite,they usually don't believe me...,so I refresh the scene and zoom it in.That's when the drooling usually starts.Then I ask them again,"Well...,what are you going to do with it?".Now,I know they are asking themselves the same question...
    Personally,I am not an engineer doing CAD drafting daily,and I am not an astonomer crunching numbers of astronomical proportions.I don't know anyone personally that is either of these.I personally don't know anyone that actually "needs" a P4 3gig unit.But I guess it is nice to know that should the need arrise,it is out there.
    To me...,if it is powerful enough to get the job done,uses all of it's capabilities when asked,it is good enough.If it can do the jobs I ask it to do,and do them with a little style....,I'm happy.
    This may not have answered your question directly,but here is the reason for that particular choice of parts.
    1.The PIII 866 bench tests showed it to be a solid performer under most any situation.In some tests it outperformed the 1gig units of the same line,and made the 933 look like an Intel mistake.
    2.The PIIIs multi-thread,the P4s don't.You will never see a dual board for P4 CPUs.Some of the best graphics programs utilize multi-threading.And I like to play with graphics.
    3.Even a meager multi-threading unit like I described,would give me the illusion that I have something comparible to a G3,or G4 for doing graphics work,without actually owning a Mac.I like their design,but I don't like elitists.

Of course...,it is just my opinion,and I can always be wrong...

11. zeddy

zeddy

The beauty of this forum is that many different views can be expressed. GwizJoe you have given an eloquent defence of the P3, others will say P4 or Athlon MP, or XP. The truth is - as you say - what do you want it for and are likely to want it for in the future. For many the requirement to have multi or hyperthreading Processors would seem an extravagence.

The high end desktop processors are to feed the gamers amongst PC users, the same ones who insist on getting the video card that will be brilliant with tomorows games (only it will be superceded by the next new card before the game actually comes out).

But most posters (including compilerXP will recommend a mid range setup), however the thread posted here was whats perfect for you. What is perfect for me is competition between chipset, processor, mobo, video card producers to ensure reasonable prices and continued development.

A final thought...............would the tin can have included a hyperthreading P4 rather than a P2 if it had been available at the time?

12. Annorax

Annorax

I'm not up to date with the most recent parts and speeds, but I definitely know my dream machine is way out of my budget...

-some big Lian Li aluminum case
    -AMD Athlon XP 3000
    -1gig of DDR PC3500 RAM
    -500gig 7200 RPM WD HD
    -19'' LCD monitor
    -Logitech cordless mouse+keyboard
    -Geforce4 Ti-4600 w/128 MB RAM video card
    -Sound Blaster Augidy

13. zeddy

zeddy

Annorax,

I am with you with most of the parts, but what about popping in a Radeon 9800 dual view and having two 19" LCD monitors!

And of course an Audigy 2!

14. Annorax

Annorax

The Radeon 9800 sounds sweet. Having dual monitors would be great, but I don't know what I would do with them!

It's been almost 2 years since I built my system, and it's been a while since I've even looked at parts, I wonder what kind of stuff they have out there now...

15. zeddy

zeddy

gaming with dual monitors, one showing the cockpit and the other an external view as the machine gun goes ta-pocketa-pocketa-pocketa-pocketa-pocketa !

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!