1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What's preventing XP from loading?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Darth Nader, Feb 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Darth Nader

Darth Nader Thread Starter

I built a computer for a relative a few months back, and for a while things were running smoothly.

She just called me to let me know that her machine no longer makes it to the Windoze logo. Instead, after the post, she just gets a blank screen--no warnings, just nothing.

She tried to boot up to the XP CD, but it never makes it to the setup screen. It just hangs on checking the hardware configuration.

How do I diagnose this problem? Thanks.

2. ReNxWar

ReNxWar

The first thing I'd check is the ram. Most likely theres NO way your going to troubleshoot this over the phone, you need to get it infront of you.

3. Darth Nader

Darth Nader Thread Starter

I'm going to go there in person, but I just wanted to know what I should be looking for.

Do you mean I should swap out the ram?

4. Emtronics

Emtronics

Make sure she didn't add an USB device. In other words, unplug all USB devices before booting and see what happens. Not an USB keyboard/mouse though. Check the CPU cooling fan also.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/205129

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice