1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What's the best AGP card on my budget?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Obinice, Mar 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Obinice

Obinice Thread Starter

Heya there, I have a budget of around about £150 and I'm looking for the best AGP card to fit that price, preferably NVIDIA as I've had issues with ATI in the past. I want to be able to run games like Half Life 2, or Elder Scrolls Oblivion on high quality.

The rest of my PC is pretty decent, 1GB ram & 3.4Ghz P4. Just need a better GCard.

So, any recommendations? And thanks for any help you can offer :)

2. 1_rob_1

1_rob_1

If you shop around and are lucky, you should be able to get a geforce 6800 gt for around this price.
    This is still probably one of the best agp cards available, £150 wont get you one of the top brands, but even the cheaper 6800 gt cards are very good.

3. Obinice

Obinice Thread Starter

Can I ask what's the difference between the 6800 GT and the 6800 GS? I'm sure this is a stupid question to someone that knows about such things, but hey =P

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  5. Obinice

Obinice Thread Starter

**deleted**

6. Obinice

Obinice Thread Starter

I have decided to get the 7800GS, however after looking online I've found that there seems to be several different versions, all slightly different in price and stuff. Which should I get? I've decided (after just checking how much I have in the bank lol) that I can pay up to £200 for the card, but no more.

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    There's hundreds of different brands with very small diffferences like slighty different clock speeds and cooling solutions, the speed differences are usually in the neighbourhood of 5 - 25 mhz.

My preferred brands for video cards are eVGA, Sapphire, BFG, PowerColor, Asus, and MSI. I would avoid XFX. But there's many more that are good as well.

8. Obinice

Obinice Thread Starter

Where do you think would be the cheapest place I could get the BFG GeForce 7800GS OC 256MB AGP?

9. Obinice

Obinice Thread Starter

Sorry for double posting lol, anyway I've decided to get the BFG GeForce 7800GS OC 256MB AGP, and I want you to shout any good reasons I should choose any of the other 7800GS's over this one (and £220 is the highest I'll pay, because it's what this BFG costs).

10. bigbear

bigbear

£220 seems hell of a price for an AGP card, personally I would rather put the money towards a board that supports PCI-E.

11. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  12. 1_rob_1

1_rob_1

I tend to agree with this, even £ 150 for the cheaper 6800gt is a bit on the borderline.
    Dont forget, agp is on its way out so if you upgrade in the future your new card will be no good for your new pc.

13. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Well what you guys are saying doesn't really make sense to me, just because there's a new interface doesn't mean AGP is useless or not worth buying now. Do you guys buy a new car every year just because a new model is available? A Geforce 7800GS is going to be a great card for a long time, and he has a Pentium 4 3.4Ghz processor with 1GB of RAM. Its not some old and slow Pentium 3 or Athlon, its a modern fast system. To go to PCI-Express he may need a motherboard, processor, memory, and power supply if he's using a socket 478 platform.

14. 1_rob_1

1_rob_1

Could be a 775 processor, then all that would need changing would be the mobo & maybe the psu. Then with the money left, approx £130+ could also buy a decent pcie graphics card.
    There are a few companies that manufacture socket 478 mobos with pcie, so if one of these was purchased, nothing else would be needed apart from the pcie graphics card .

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/452831

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice