What's the best and most reliable way to have multiple OS?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

OM2

What's the best and most reliable way to have multiple OS?

I have tried Acronis Boot Selector - that's messed up my laptop
As we speak - talking to tech support now!
I read in forum posts afterwards that it doesnt work with all machines + has problems seeing Windows 7

No good :(

I wanted to know: what other recommended solutions are there?
That are reliable and widely used?

Thanks

OM

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I use the built in boot manager that comes with Windows.
Install the older version(s) first and then each newer. The newer version(s) will be added to the boot screen for selection.

OM2

oh
wish i knew that :(
i've got a screwed up system now
just making another post - desperately need help :(

OM2

so u use vmware to run windows 7 on top of windows vista??

DoubleHelix

Banned
I use VirtualPC, VMware Workstation, and VirtualBox to run multiple operating systems, but they require additional system resources. Virtualization may or may not work depending on what you want to use it for and the specs of your host system.

OM2

but they require additional system resources...
like what?
what's the point of running a system if it's extra slow because it's being run off an emulator
if using for testing or something - i understand
but i can't think why you would want to do this otherwise?
i'm intrigued to know why you would do this!
if the extra resources are memory and hard disc space - i'd consider
(having said that, the max ram i can have is 4gb it think - which i have currently)
but if it means sacrificing cpu speed - then this isn't appealing for me

let me know

thanks, much appreciated

DoubleHelix

Banned
System resources: memory, CPU
It's not emulation. It's virtualization. A virtual system is a completely, fully functionally, and entirely separate operating system. It's installed in the same way you'd install an operating system on a physical computer and requires the same licensing.

Why do you want to run multiple operating systems? Those are the same reasons you'd use virtualization. I use them for testing applications, sanboxing, trying new OS's and software, etc.

Since both the host and the guest operating systems would be running at the same time, neither would use all the physical hardware resources, so there would certainly be some performance impact. Whether or not this is an issue again depends on what you want to do. Virtualization doesn't work for gaming, but it works just fine for many other things.

redoak

Gone but never forgotten
"so u use vmware to run windows 7 on top of windows vista??"

No, my "host" runs "Ws7." The essentials of that Toshiba are 250 GB hard drive, 4 GB RAM and a
2.2 GHz dual core processor. I have "XP Home" as the "guest" within VMw-P.

My reason for doing this was to have a second, independent "XP." I keep my Asus with "XP Pro" and the Toshiba synchonized so that if the Asus needs lengthy servicing I can proceed as if nothing has gone wrong. Besides, I like doing new, challenging "things" with my computers. I had a legit MS CD for "XP Home," so there was no expense involved.

{redoak}

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online