1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What's the best connection for laptop to speakers?

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)' started by JennyMM, Aug 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JennyMM

JennyMM Thread Starter

For best sound, what's the best connection? My output is a 3.5mm plug. My M-Audio AV40 speaker options are:
    3.5mm TRS input to Aux port
    1/4" RCA dual inputs
    1/4" TS dual inputs

Hope someone has the answer, can't find ANY advice so far! Thanks! BTW, these speakers are really good, great separation, highs, lows ... a nice sound.

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

USB speakers will provide the best sound.

3. JennyMM

JennyMM Thread Starter

What is best sound of the options I listed? Thanks.

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I assume your laptop has one audio output port. I don't see how you'd connect anything else to it. If they're not computer speakers, they're not going to work.

5. JennyMM

JennyMM Thread Starter

I have 2 audio-out headphone jacks, 3.5mm (1/8").
    With the appropriate cable, I can connect to my M-Audio speakers in 3 possible ways: (1) to the speaker 3.5mm Aux input, (2) to dual RCA jacks, or (3) to dual TS jacks.

I'm wondering which set-up (of these 3 options) should produce the best sound.

My speakers do not have a USB input but are good speakers so I don't want to replace them.

6. batscrptmod200

batscrptmod200

From my research says rca better yet rca with oversized jacket with extra shielding

7. janikPilot

janikPilot

Personally, I run a theatre with my Macbook connected via 1/8" jack connected to an XLR converter, which feeds into a mixer and eventually the speakers. Since you don't have that option, I would suggest using the dual TS jacks, but that's just my personal experience.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1065868