1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What's the best/easier way to make a transparent background?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by starchild, Sep 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. starchild

starchild Thread Starter

Like in an animated gif I want to put on a page, and the background color is wrong. I can either make it transparent or change it to the color on the page.

I've used GIF works to do this with one pictuer (not animated) but it usually leaves little bits of the background color in and doesn't look clean.

I'm thinking Animation Shop has a way to do this, but never can find where.
    I coudln't find what to use to select the background to remove the color and make it transparent. Even thought this must be one of the more simple things one can do to an image.

Looking in their HELP didn't do any good.

I've never needed to use this enough to find out what works and works best.

I have PSP7, Animation Shop3 and PSP6.

of coruse, where the animation has 10 frames I'd rather do it all at once in Animation Shop.

Thanks,

Carrie

2. buck52

buck52 Banned

Haven't fooled with PSP since a format but as I recall if you open the animation and select all the frames you can set the tranparency for all of them at once then resave

buck

3. starchild

starchild Thread Starter

I'll try that.

I didn't realize you could open all the frames of an animation is PSP. If I open an animation, usually only one picture from it comes up. Guess there is probably something that opens it all.

I tend to learn what I need/want to as I get to it, and some of the basics get skipped (until I come to them)

Thanks,

Carrie

4. buck52

buck52 Banned

Open the animation with Animation Shop which is part of PSP...It will show all the frames

buck

5. starchild

starchild Thread Starter

Okay, it doesn't open them all in PSP.

I just couldn't find where to change the background to transparent in Animation Shop.

Or, how to select the background so it would know this.

I haven't done much with A.S. except sometimes resize something.

~Carrie

6. acraftylady

acraftylady

I am using PSP 8 with animation shop 3.10. In animation shop when you open the animation you should see all the frames and then there is a scroll bar to scroll through each frame and you will see F1, F2 and such depending on how many frames the animation uses. I am not sure how to change the background in animation shop because I make the graphics transparent in PSP first then animate them so I have never changed one already anmiated. I have to write down how to do all this stuff in animation shop to remember it all so I may have saved some instructions for myself on doing what you want, I will look and post back.

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      94.2 KB
      Views:
  7. starchild

starchild Thread Starter

I've gotten that far.

I just think there must be a way to select the background (I have made picture tubes in PSP, where you select the picture, copy it, and paste it on a new transparent background). But select the background in the frames (all at once or one at a time) then "change the background to transparent".

Maybe it's in animation effects?

It can take so long to go over everything trying. And HELP didn't have anything that I could see.

I have tried making pictures in PSP and opening them in AnimShop, and putting them in frames but they aways wiggle and jump around! No matter how careful I am to get them all the same size and exactly in the frames.

Is there a trick to this?

The one I want to take the background out of is one I got from a free clip art site. It's LONG, or a spider going up and down. I want to put it on the side of a website, that has a beige background. I can either change the background to the same color (maybe with flood fill in each of the frames?) or make it transparent. I didn't want to get into a major project with it, but realized I might as well learn about changing the background to transparent if there's a simple way.

I've been on the computer all day, I think I need a rest.

I'll add the spider on, if it doesn't come on the post it will be a clicky. I can't even copy/paste the images onto a new (transparent) background they're so small and the thread is thin.

It is NOT really a big deal! (I'll be able to sleep tonight) :)

~ Carrie

Attached Files:

8. acraftylady

acraftylady

Ok, I remembered how to do it and it's very simple. I am not sure where the settings are in your version of animation shop so you may have to hunt around. Open the graphic and you should see all of the frames. Then click on the little eye dropper tool and click that in the background color so it comes up in the color pallette. Then in the color pallette click the little square it showed up in and in there you will get the HTML code for the color, you will need this. You should see #FFFFFF. Then at the top of the tool bar click animation and then click replace color. On that screen where it says replace color in check mark all frames and where it says replace tick old color and then click on the little color box and input the HTML code of the background color for the graphic, #FFFFFF. Then where it says with you tick transparent opacitiy and that should change the colored backgrond to the transparent checkered one in all frames. Then just save the animation again like any other and that's it. Now if you want to make the background the same beige as your page instead of transparent opacity click new color and click the color box and input the HTML code for the beige color you are using on your page and that should change all the frames to beige. Here's a screen shot of the menu I am talking about. Now for some reason this is not working with your spider graphic and I have no clue why but I will keep playing with it. I can change it to any color, it just won't change to transparent. Maybe it has something to do with how it was created. I spend a lot of hours doing tutoirals on the animated stuff and it's all trial and error for me so the only thing I can tell you is read some tuts and practice practice practice. I am still horrible at doing animated siggys so I want to get better at that. Here's a tut for a bracelet I just did. Went crazy over this and made them for all my friends. Hope this helps.

Bracelet

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      78.5 KB
      Views:
  9. acraftylady

acraftylady

Ok, I got it but it's not animated exactly the same as the original. I had to do a few more steps on this graphic for some reason. I will tell you what I did and you can try it and play around with the animation. Also I don't know why when my springs back up it goes up too far.

First open the graphic and then minimize it. Then make a new blank transparent canvas 200x400. Then go to edit, select all and then click copy. Then hold down CTRL and click L 10 times this will make a totoal of 11 transparent frames. If you look in the bottom right you will see the frame numbers going up. Minimize this and then open the graphic again. Go to edit, select all and copy. Minimize the graphic and open the blank frames and hold down CTRL and hit L just once. This will paste the spider in all the frames. Now follow my directions in the other post and it will change to transparent. Then you can crop it out and play with the frame properties and such. Save it and your done.

Attached Files:

10. buck52

buck52 Banned

acraftylady has it ..should be virtually the same for v7 if memory serves me...still have not reinstalled...

if you need to do a little touch up or it's a simple 2 or 3 frame animation you can use the eraser tool on individual frames

buck

11. acraftylady

acraftylady

I never had PSP before 8 so I wasn't sure how different the tool bar was. I had saved an excellent tutorial that tells how to change the background in animaiton shop to transparent. So much of the stuff I do I learn from tuts and I have so many saved I forget what I have. I think it's wonderful you can get so many online instrctions for working with PSP and animation shop.

How to change the background

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/272901

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice