1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Whats the best FREE antispyware/malware programs.

Discussion in 'General Security' started by ibetyouluvthis, Apr 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ibetyouluvthis

ibetyouluvthis Thread Starter

Hi,
    What are the best free antispyware/malware programs>?

2. smeegle

smeegle

This is a joke, right?

3. ibetyouluvthis

Hahah! No, why would you say that? Are all the freebies incompetent?
    Iam asking a serious question.

4. DarqueMist

DarqueMist

smeegle said that because

Security Help Tools is stickied at the top of the page

and peppered all through posts here you will find similar topics, listing programs like spybot, avg antispyware, adaware, superantispyware and javacools spywareblaster

5. ibetyouluvthis

Yes, I have seen the "help tools" thread and the majority of all the other security related threads. I was wondering if there is any program in particular that works the best.

Thanks,

6. caperjack

caperjack

Your looking for opinions ,mine short list is , Spybot Search and Destroy ,AVG antispy , and AVG antivirus ,and Windows Defender .

7. DarqueMist

DarqueMist

personal oppinion ... for an on demand spyware scanner superantispyware has won favour with me (its slow but seems more effective at removing more nasties than the rest). I run windows Defender for real time protection, once a week I scan with adaware 2007, spybot s&d and superantispyware, use windows firewall (flame away people, it works fine blocking incoming and I'm not concerned about outgoing ... if its going out I'm infected anyway ) and AVG free for AV

8. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

9. caperjack

caperjack

last time i scanned a computer with superantispyware i got a BSOD on reboot .and the computer never had one before the scan .just had the constant message that the computer was infected and to use a certain removal tool

10. Gizzy

Gizzy

my favorite anti-spyware programs are AVG anti-spyware and Superantispyware avg anti-spyware detects a lot and Superantispyware is good at removing the hard to remove malware but avg is only giving updates to it's anti-spyware until the end of the year then it's being discontinued. :mad:
    http://free.grisoft.com/doc/downloads-products/us/frt/0?prd=asf
    http://www.superantispyware.com/

there is a new version of Superantispyware that came out recently (v4.0)

@DarqueMist I don't know if you updated but the newer one is supposed to scan 40% faster,

I've heard good things about Malwarebytes Anti-malware that Blackmirror recommended, I've tried it before and liked it never got to really test it yet though,

@caperjack which version did you use? you could try out the new version 4.0,

11. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

12. xrztrx

xrztrx

id say AVG antispyware is the best u could try spyware terminator too though

13. Diddykongrocks

Diddykongrocks

hi don't know if its to late to reply but a-squared free is by far the best anti-malware program i find its very good make sher to update a run a slow scan and threat fire is good to to protect pc well your on and avast home 4.8 is really good . as for anti-spyware there is super anti-spyware , windows defender, sbybot search and destroy and ad-aware

14. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

It has my vote (y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

15. xrztrx

xrztrx

a squared is the second best after
    AVG anitspyware :)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/701674

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice