1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What's the best free backup software?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by GreggIllinois, Feb 3, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GreggIllinois

GreggIllinois Thread Starter

I just backed up my C:Users folder with Windows 10 File History. It took five hours. Today I added a small folder onto the Desktop and ran the File History backup again. I was delighted that it only took a few seconds, and the file was indeed there on my USB stick. But it was there with that UTC date stamp. All the files have it. I guess I can see the value of the date stamp, but what if I want to put those files onto a different computer? So for restoring onto the same computer, it's great, but really, I'd rather not have it (the time stamp). So my questions:

1) What is the difference between incremental and differential backup?
    2) What are some really good free backup softwares?

Thanks

2. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
  3. GreggIllinois

Thanks a lot, Johnny. I'd already read that link twice and still didn't quite get it. But I read it again and now I'm getting it. And thanks for the SyncBackFree link. I'm checking it out. :)

4. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    You're welcome, Gregg :)

The Free version has many ways to backup, from simple to complex.
    I prefer the less complex . The less to go wrong, the better just so long as it provides a durable copy of my data.
    My backups in my home aren't encrypted, but stored elsewhere are.
    And I don't do compression, large drives are relatively inexpensive now days.
    Works for me, but not everyone's needs are the same.

Good luck. :)

edit: and remember, original paper in a filing cabinet is also a backup :D

GreggIllinois likes this.
  5. GreggIllinois

Thanks Johnny. Since you mentioned it I've read about SnycBack and a lot of people say it's really good because of the simplicity. Which I am a big fan of. I downloaded it and I'm going to experiment with it tomorrow. Thanks again.

PS. Paper?? What's that? lol :confused:

Johnny b likes this.
  6. GreggIllinois

Hey, Johnny, I checked it out and it's pretty amazing. One thing baffled me, tough--running into this password stuff when I do the scheduling. It's like yeah, a lot of my User files have passwords. Anyway,
    I know this screenshot is written in English, but I'll be darned if I know what it means. Do you?
    schedule.png

7. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John

Please post the link next time rather than a screenshot of the link. Much easier to find the issue.

The mentioned link in the image you posted:
    https://help.2brightsparks.com/support/solutions/articles/43000335849.html

It's about setting up SyncBack scheduling.
    Remove the blank password restriction ( in SyncBack ) as explained in the link.

The current computer I use SyncBack on was set up about 8 years ago and I simply don't remember if that was an issue or not :D

8. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    It's a generational thing :D

9. GreggIllinois

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1239683

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice