1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Whats the Best, Free Picture Editing Program?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by ferrija1, Jun 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ferrija1

ferrija1 Thread Starter

Whats the Best, Free Picture Editing Program?

2. buck52

buck52 Banned

3. slipe

slipe

Gimp for Windows – far and away the best. It also has a steep learning curve.

Photo Plus 6 is a decent image editor: http://www.freeserifsoftware.com/ It is an older version they are giving away. It is at least a real image editor with levels, clone etc and not an organizer/viewer like Irfanview and Picasa that some people mistakenly represent as image editors. I use Irfanview as often as Photoshop and would probably use Picasa as often if I had started with that. But neither are any good for true image editing.

I recently saw the latest version of Paint Shop Pro on Ebay for less than $30 for a “buy now”. If you are considering going to all the trouble to learn Gimp I would suggest you spring for the thirty bucks and get a program you can find more tutorials and help for. It is also easier to use.

If you just want to mess around and not get seriously involved get the Serif free program. You also can’t go wrong with Irfanview and Picasa, but don’t expect to be able to cut yourself out of an image and put yourself in a Mars scene. They just do simple alterations along with great organization and fast viewing.

4. Shamou

Shamou

Little Buddy, I think you should do something about you public profile... you have to be at least 13 to be a member... :p

5. ferrija1

ferrija1 Thread Starter

oh... (damn it!) I'll change that.

6. ferrija1

ferrija1 Thread Starter

there we go, that never happened...

7. ferrija1

ferrija1 Thread Starter

8. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Reading your posts ... I'd never guessed you were only 1010 years old ... can you read binary ?

Those are probably the Illegal "cracked" Versions of Photoshop.
    Photoshop Elements 4.0 is probably all that a hobbyist (non-Professional) would need.
    It has all the important tools found in CS2 ... at ~1/10th the Legal price.

9. slipe

slipe

The Photoshop Ebay links are obviously cracks. Even if you aren’t concerned about legality they can be a lot of trouble. And no support.

Paint Shop Pro is a better program overall than Elements IMO. Adobe had to hobble Elements to keep people buying the full Photoshop, but PSP is as good as Jasc could make it. PSP also has some limited vector image capability which even the full Photoshop won’t handle – Adobe wants you to buy Illustrator. PSP will likely deteriorate now that Corel owns it, but PSP X was designed by Jasc before Corel bought it.

If you move up to Photoshop the transition is a little easier from Elements. And you can follow many Photoshop online tutorials.

This looks like the full retail box but there is no “buy now” price and the bids will likely go up over $40 http://cgi.ebay.com/COREL-PAINTSHOP...7QQihZ015QQcategoryZ41878QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem They have had the CD only version several times with a buy now price under $30. It is the full program released by Corel made to sell with computers and equipment.

10. buck52

buck52 Banned

One thing you might tell everyone is...

Are you serious about "picture editing" or are you just going to diddle around... ie: adding word balloons, etc.

my guess is that you are going to diddle, otherwize you would be willing to spend a couple of bucks on something like Elements

correct me if I'm wrong

buck

11. ferrija1

ferrija1 Thread Starter

I'm serious about picture editing

12. ferrija1

ferrija1 Thread Starter

like Photoshop

13. ferrija1

ferrija1 Thread Starter

that stupiud cms4694

14. ferrija1

ferrija1 Thread Starter

is there any other way to tell if it is cracked (besides super low price) without buying it

15. slipe

slipe

There is a link on the right to ask the seller a question. Ask him whether it is an actual Adobe CD.

It could possibly be an OEM “CD only” without the full retail box. The only downside to that is the software maker often leaves support to the equipment manufacturer that the software is made to go with. I prefer the manual on the CD anyway.

Some people have problems with the legality of an OEM CD. As far as I’m concerned it is up to Adobe to police their distribution.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/472279

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice