1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What's The Best Heatsink?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ttiefenbach, Jan 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ttiefenbach

ttiefenbach Thread Starter

I've seen many article in this forum that talk about heatsinks. I was wondering, what everybody thinks is the best. My CPU temp now is idling around 50C, and I'd like to get it <= 40C.

I already have plans to use Artic Silver, so that will be 5C of my CPU temp I can eliminate.

Is the Volcano 9 the best? Is there something better or comparable?

2. brianF

brianF

3. ttiefenbach

ttiefenbach Thread Starter

<b>What CFM level should I be looking for?</b>

I saw a fan that pushes 84.1 CFM at 55dB. Other fans where pushing 41.6 CFM at 37.5 dB

<b>I'm not sure what dB level would be too much?</b> Right now I have plans to keep the case near eye level, so I don't want a machine that will be so loud I can't hear the sound.

4. Ged

Ged

Second that. SLK 800 is excellent but you pay for the quality. Personally for me sub 50C is acceptable and you should be able to accomplish that with a pretty quiet fan.

It is a noise/heat tradeoff, I personally value quiet. 55 is very loud, 37.5 is quite loud. An increase of 10 doubles the volume! A change of 3 is noticeable.

As www.quietpc.com put it:

Above 35 dB(A) Certainly not quiet!
    30-35 dB(A) "Average" - not quiet, not too loud
    25-30 dB(A) Reasonably quiet
    Less than 25 dB(A) Extremely quiet

5. Catmando

Catmando

I third that SLK-800. I have an Athlon XP 1600+ and was using the retail fan and heatsink that came with it. The CPU temperature was between 45-50 C which didn't bother me, but the CPU fan was starting to bug me a lot. With the SLK-800 you can use 80mm fans instead of the 60mm fans that most heatsinks have. They may be louder in some instances, but they are a lower pitch, which to me is a lot less annoying. I have a clear 80mm Antec fan with blue LEDs (~30dB) in my SLK-800, and the CPU stays between 38-42C.

If you do get this heatsink, look on the web on how to install it because it doesn't come with instructions, and it's heavy so it may crack your CPU if you aren't careful installing it. Also, it's taller than the retail heatsink/fan so you may need to be sure it will fit. I had to get a new case because the powersupply was above my CPU and didn't allow enough room for the fan and heatsink.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/113532

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice