What's the Best or Most Convenient Free Compression App?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Johnny b

John
This will be for a Win 10 Pro based computer.

I bought a (perpetual) license to WinZip long ago that promised lifetime updates.
That seemed to end when ownership changed.
The last one I uploaded for free was version 9 and I've been using 7Zip ever since WinZip upgrades were no longer free.
I'm wondering, what's your favorite free compression app and how is it better/more convenient than the old WinZip or 7Zip?

Couriant

James
Lifetime updates or upgrades? Typically perpetual licenses will give you all the updates, but going to a new version number means you would need a new license...

I haven't really needed to use another program. Windows built in works well. I haven't needed to open .RAR files either so WinRAR isn't needed.

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I never zip my files ... Too much trouble for what it's worth .... (Pictures or Videos)
If needed I still use 7zip for any unzipping.

Johnny b

John
Lifetime updates or upgrades? Typically perpetual licenses will give you all the updates, but going to a new version number means you would need a new license...

I haven't really needed to use another program. Windows built in works well. I haven't needed to open .RAR files either so WinRAR isn't needed.

Lifetime upgrade.
I bought in at version 7.
As I remember, WinZip was sold sometime after version 9 came out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WinZip
From version 6.0 until version 9.0, registered users could download the newest versions of the software, enter their original registration information or install over the top of their existing registered version, and thereby obtain a free upgrade.

This upgrade scheme was discontinued as of version 10.0
Translated, I got ripped off.
Water under the bridge.
7Zip was more useful.....and free.

Johnny b

John
I never zip my files ... Too much trouble for what it's worth .... (Pictures or Videos)
If needed I still use 7zip for any unzipping.

I've only used it for opening compressed files, but unlike the older WinZip, it does cover more than a .zip format.

Couriant

James
I was just curious... that does suck though... they should have grandfathered you guys in.

Anyways, at work we do have 7zip available to our users.. but most don't do the zipping like Noyb.

Gr3iz

Mark
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
7zip for decompressing. Haven't needed to compress anything in ages!

Johnny b

John
I've used and liked 7Zip.
I haven't had the need to use it much, but times they are a changing and sometimes I feel like a Luddite :D
Some of my apps have gotten, shall we say, a little long in the tooth.
I just wondered if there was some new amazing freebie app out there to give a spin and I hate just trying out software blindly.

I'm trying out a fresh install of Win 10 Pro on a standalone computer for home use.
So far so good.

crjdriver

7zip, CCleaner, Irfanview, VLC, Foxit reader, and Voodoo shield are the first things I install [after drivers and office]

There is no alternative for 7zip.
I'm looking for alternative (that is at least as good) for some time already but can't find anything.

It's bad that 7zip UI isn't open source and there is no digital license, but otherwise it's great peace of programe.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online