1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What's the best registry cleaner

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by xico, Mar 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xico

xico Thread Starter

What's the best Registry Booster or Cleaner?

I ran Uniblue Registry Booster, and had 812 problems. It got rid of 15, but I have to buy in order to get the best cleaned up.

I have Registry Mechanic, and had 45 problems. I own Registry Mechanic, but am seriously considering Uniblue Registry Booster. Anybody have any advice?
    Thanks,

xico:D

2. Stoner

Stoner Banned

Best advice is to not use them, xico.
    Of course, it your system is pretty much hosed, it wouldn't hurt.
    jv16 if you're brave.

3. xico

xico Thread Starter

Thanks, Stoner! I'll have to check out jv16.

I just switched from Comcast to Verizon, and I'm getting a lot of no page errors from Techguy and elsewhere. All 4 computers are getting the same no pages, so it's not one machine. It's probably Verizon. With all the error pages, it's like using dial up. But when it's fast, it's very fast. Thought I might speed it up a little on this end.

4. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

Of course errors will be shown- they want to "sell you a bill of goods." Below is extended comment from experts here at TSG.

{redoak}

Advice and Info re Registry 'cleaners'- excerpts from TSG, 10-07

The main reason they are apt to cause problems is because the cleaners do NOT just clean up stuff left over from uninstalls. They also "guess" that other items need to be deleted, many times incorrectly. They also attempt to "fix" references to files that no longer exist.

As a result, you can end up with programs that no longer work, functions that no longer work and in some cases a PC that will no longer boot.

There is no performance gains to be had by running these things. Windows does not read the entire registry when it is looking for something. It uses the keys which allow them to go straight to the item that they are looking for.

References:
    http://www.edbott.com/weblog/?p=643
    http://www.computerhope.com/registry.htm

If you really want to see how active the registry is in your normal running environment, download and run Regmon.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-ca/sysinternals/bb896652.aspx

As you will see, the registry is constantly being accessed. If, for each of these, the entire file was being searched, your PC would be amazingly slow and not responsive.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Sorry I am unable to cite and give credit to the authors.

{redoak}

Advice and Info re Registry 'cleaners'- excerpts from TSG, 10-07

The main reason they are apt to cause problems is because the cleaners do NOT just clean up stuff left over from uninstalls. They also "guess" that other items need to be deleted, many times incorrectly. They also attempt to "fix" references to files that no longer exist.

As a result, you can end up with programs that no longer work, functions that no longer work and in some cases a PC that will no longer boot.

There is no performance gains to be had by running these things. Windows does not read the entire registry when it is looking for something. It uses the keys which allow them to go straight to the item that they are looking for.

References:
    http://www.edbott.com/weblog/?p=643
    http://www.computerhope.com/registry.htm

If you really want to see how active the registry is in your normal running environment, download and run Regmon.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-ca/sysinternals/bb896652.aspx

As you will see, the registry is constantly being accessed. If, for each of these, the entire file was being searched, your PC would be amazingly slow and not responsive.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Sorry I am unable to cite and give credit to the authors.

5. xico

xico Thread Starter

Thanks, redoak! Guess I'll stick with Registry Mechanic!

6. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

Oh don't go in your registry and clean
    Its like putting sugar in your petrol tank :D

7. xico

xico Thread Starter

I run Registry Mechanic periodically. Use to run it on start up. It's got an automatic backup, restore point, but I've never had to use it.

But I wouldn't go there manually, although I have on occasion (with precise instructions). :D But LOL, you're right. It can be like putting sugar in the petrol tank!:D

8. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

Trouble may occur long after you have used RegMechanic. Then the backup/restore point would be useless. Besides, suppose your computer won't boot?

{redoak}

9. xico

xico Thread Starter

Thanks, I haven't had that trouble yet, but that's interesting. Anyone else heard of that?

10. Flags

Flags

I wish someone could sort this thing out once and for all.
    I have heard the pros and cons on this for years.
    I have used registry cleaners for all of my computer life, (7 years) and have had no trouble whatsoever.
    I used jv16 years ago, when it was free, RegSupreme which has the same author and cleaner when Juno Viori went commercial, and RegScrubXP from Lexun software.
    I always thought that the backup was my salvation in case anything went wrong.

11. xico

xico Thread Starter

That's what I thought.

12. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Hi isn't this the important question.
    Are Registry Cleaners safe enough to recommend to anyone viewing this Pc help forum?

13. new tech guy

new tech guy

Probably not, they just see us as a support forum so in the ad they put, "oh techguy.org reccomends registry cleaner x...." and they know a less knowledged user will go clicky clicky and buy it. Its a sad way to take advantage of someone, really so i dont think they should be reccomended or used. Because if you damage somthing, their "backups" are just .reg files that restore everything they delete. In some cases, it takes more than that to restore the program.

14. Stoner

Stoner Banned

Indeed.
    Some 6-7 years ago I used a reg cleaner on an install that had voice recognition on it.
    The reg cleaner back up didn't fix the broken app and a re-install of it wouldn't fix it either.
    I wound up reinstalling the OS as a fresh install.

15. new tech guy

new tech guy

I should have added to that statement that also just restoring registry keys, will not re acociate them with their respective dll files that link to those keys that make the programs function. It is keys, dll files, files, all of this makes an application run.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/698152

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice