Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

What's the BEST way to install video drivers, new Direct X, and remove older drivers?

1K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Max77Rave 
#1 ·
First off, I have Windows XP.

For example, I have an older video card in my system now because I have to send my better card in for warranty repair.

I had upgraded to Direct x 9 and now I want to go back to 8.1. How do I revert or remove Direct x 9?

Also, what is the best way to install video drivers? I heard awhile back you should boot into safe mode or something?

THanks

#2 ·
Originally posted by Max77Rave:
First off, I have Windows XP.

I had upgraded to Direct x 9 and now I want to go back to 8.1. How do I revert or remove Direct x 9?

If you have DirectX 9 instaled, do yourself a favor and don't try to back it out. If you do try, you may end up totally hosing the system.

As far as Windows Video drivers, go into Device Manager and uninstall the old card, then reboot and let WinXP find and install the new drivers.

Hope this helps!

Good Luck!

ST

#4 ·
If WinXP is loading good drivers, why worry about it?

You'll have your regular video card back in no time...just let it go until you get the replacement card.

#5 ·
Well, I play alot of games so performance is a big thing for me. I know how finnicky drivers and software can be so I want to rid any chance of old driver conflicts.

I read somewhere that you can boot into safe mode which is the surest way but I don't know much past that. If anyone has any info on that, I'd apprecaiate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.